wireless control

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does anyone know of a product that can be used wirelessly to control a motor starter? 120 volt coil.
What range do you need, what special requirements (water-proof, damage-resistance, etc.), and what's your budget?

X-10 stuff could even be used.

zog

This really helps the guy????

There are over 100 different actuators, many for MCC's, and all wireless from up to 200 ft. He asked to wirelessly control a motor starter, seems exactly what he needs. One device can be used for multiple applications and there is no modifiications needed to be done to the equipment. So yes I do.

Last edited:

ultramegabob

after thinking about it a while, the garage door controller wont work as simply as I thought at first because it is only a momentary contact. You could use it to start the motor if you used a latching circuit on the starter, but you wouldnt be able to turn the motor off with the wireless control.

puckman

The range of the device needs to be atleast 700' , The operator of the device will be on the third floor of one building while the starter will be in another building in the basement. Cost wasn't discussed , just go see whats out there. I can see them spending 1500- 2000 dollars on this without a problem. Thanks for the samples with this.

StephenSDH

You need line of sight for a reliable system. I would recommend directional yagi antennas pointing at each other. The banner is a cheaper setup. There are alot of cheap wireless systems out there, but they all will probably still cost over $2000.

Good Luck, Steve

TxEngr

Make sure you plan for the future as well. Once you put the first remote device in, they'll want more. Several companies make very robust UHF directional systems that will do just what you want. The UHF allows remote antenna mounting with line of sight operation. You also get supervisory monitoring with these, e.g. if you lose communications with the remote system, it alarms you. Motorola makes them ( at least they used to) as do others.

Another option to consider is a small PLC based system that uses a robust ethernet radio system such as an Allen Bradley PLC with a ProSoft Wireless. I've personally used this in an industrial environment with good success.

Finally, if you have phone lines between the two areas, use a pair of the phone wires with a multiplexer on each end to get the signal between the two places. This can be very reliable as well.

Good Luck.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
What range do you need, what special requirements (water-proof, damage-resistance, etc.), and what's your budget?

X-10 stuff could even be used.

I would think that if a peson was to entertain the idea of remote starting a motor control that safety and reliability would be of great concern.
X-10 is unreliable/marginal for home automation. I would never recommend its use in a commercial or industrial setting.

What is the motor used for and whats the worst that could happen should this motor start unintendedly?

ultramegabob

We didn't know the particulars after the OP and when I responded. 'Scuse me.

When I first read the question, I thought it was someone who just needed to be able to carry a remote control to start a motor, I was picturing it being in line of sight inside of a room and they needed to be able to move around and still start it, like someone who needed to turn on and off a vaccum system in a woodshop at different machine locations or something. Really we all need to get more info from people as to what they are doing before we get too involved in suggesting solutions....

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
We didn't know the particulars after the OP and when I responded. 'Scuse me.
Your X-cused ;)

Like UltraMegaBob says it would be nice to get more information before we go too far with suggestions. I would like to see a hold put on threads until the OP responds to requests for more information - as occurs in a lot of cases.
I am often amazed by very long threads with only one post by the Original person.

Status
Not open for further replies.