300.15 2008 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see where your Code reference is applicable, but maybe I'm missing something.
I know of no reason you could not use a 90?connector on MC. On raceway where conductors may be "pulled" there are restrictions on concealed raceways. (such as 348.42)

inspecter pulled me on this matter and he said to look up out of the 2008 300.15d i think and i cant find this anywere or what he is talking about

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no 300.15d.. There is a 300.15(D) which is for MI cable. Are you installing MI cable?

Johnmcca

300.15 (F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

So what is the problem with a MC 90 degree fitting into a box? You are using the correct fitting, aren't you?

300.15 (F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

So what is the problem with a MC 90 degree fitting into a box? You are using the correct fitting, aren't you?

yes i am using the right fitting...is there anywhere alse in the 2008 code book that says different?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dennis, make sure you are hitting the
reply.gif
button, not the
report.gif
button, when you reply to a thread.

The
report.gif
button is for reporting a bad post, like spam, rule violations, etc.

Around here, there is a 'wive's tale code' that you can't use a 90? MC connector concealed. I believe it has been generated from a misread of 300.15(A), which states that covers must be accessible after installation. It does not include MC cable. I think the concept comes from the fact that MC looks similar to flex, hence the confusion.

You don't have the option of adding wiring to MC cable as you do with flex, so being able to access the cover is a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.