Jw. License practice exam Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the maximum standard overcurrent device rating for three parrallel runs of 75 degrees rated 350 kcmil THHW copper conductors in three parallel runs of EMT?

Danfrey

New Colorado Journeyman

New Colorado Journeyman

Gerald,

I passed my Colorado JW test today. The best advice I can give you is to get a hold of the book Bobo uses in his prep course. Work through it cover to cover and read the sections he suggests. I spent the last month going through the guide and passed my test today without too much effort. I spent about 100 hours studying to prepare for the test.

Colorado Licensed Journeyman

Colorado Licensed Journeyman

I'm already licensed! I just wanted to see if there was anyone that had a brain here before I decided to take time out of my schedual to visit this forum. But If you guys want to be play "are you as smart as me" With your glasses tipted down your nose. So be it...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This forum has much to offer, and many of its members (myself included) will attest that we have learned a great deal from participation. But it makes one demand of all members, that we treat each other with respect. Nobody looked down on you (with glasses tipped down our noses). You were out of line to say so, and your comment about any of us having a brain was rude. So if you are going to participate, then first lose the attitude.

We do not just hand out answers to questions that are obviously from exams or homework exercises. We don?t do your work for you. We want to see that you have made some effort to find the answer yourself. Tell us what you have tried, or where you have looked for the answer, and we will give you all the help you could wish.

~Shado~

I'm already licensed! I just wanted to see if there was anyone that had a brain here before I decided to take time out of my schedual to visit this forum. But If you guys want to be play "are you as smart as me" With your glasses tipted down your nose. So be it...

Easy there Tiger!!!

1st - Welcome to the forum!

2nd - Take time from your schedule and hang out for awhile before you decide to leave.

3rd - Not shooting you down, but I guarantee you will find better than a half a dozen folks on this forum know a hell of alot more than you do in this trade.

4th - As Charlie said, no one is going to or should do your work for you. Alot of people come here looking for answers without trying at all, and we just want to see how you are coming up with your answers. This lets us see and can explain where you may have gone wrong and can then point in right direction. This in turn WILL make you a better electrician, and mentor for others you are teaching.

5th - Follow #2 above and in a year compare your abilities/knowledge to where you are now.....you will appreciate what everyone here does for free!!!

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First, Jerry, as Shad said, welcome to the forum! :) This isn't a service; we don't get paid for being here. It's more of a lounge for those who enjoy their work.

Second, if you're licensed already, then maybe you're testing us with that question. Are you playing the "are you as smart as me" game with us? It works both ways, y'know. (By the way, it's "... as smart as I." ;))

Third, we have no way of knowing your credentials. Yes, your profile says Journeyman, but the question is basic enough that you either already know, or you should know, how to calculate it. It's in the NEC, after all.

Fourth, you've really gotta get of the sensitivity kick and not take stuff personally. If someone asks for clarification about a question, or suggests you try answering your own question first, it's for the reason they say it is.

Can you answer your question? (I can.) Are you as smart as we are? Are you as smart as you believe you are? ;) Believe me, you're not the first to react that way to the same responses. Stick it out; you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Just questioning the norm

Just questioning the norm

Why is it that when somebody ask's a question that there are allways these tipical responses. My credentials are not important. I could be anybody. I simply asked a question and didn't get the answer I was seeking. Which is why I asked the question to begin with. To see if I could just get an accurate! An answer to a problem anyone in this industry could have for any reason. Not a bunch of your not studying hard enouph or want it bad enouph routine. Or you should be doing this, or you should be doing that. Or buy this book , take this course. Instead of just giving and answer to a problem....

I really don't care about who has the brain here. My EQ's mine and yours is yours

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I simply asked a question and didn't get the answer I was seeking.
The answer is 800 amps. The nature of the conduit (i.e., EMT) is not relevant. There. Happy?

Now tell me what part of the "we don't do your work for you" didn't you understand? Why are you offended by our asking you to give us your answer first?
My EQ's mine and yours is yours
Mine's an "IQ." Or are you back into the topic of emotions and attitudes?

JFletcher

Welcome to the forum. If I may attempt to answer your question:

Why is it that when somebody ask's a question that there are allways these tipical responses.

All that was asked of you is to put in some effort in figuring out the questions you posed yourself.

...Not a bunch of your not studying hard enouph or want it bad enouph routine. Or you should be doing this, or you should be doing that. Or buy this book , take this course.

Nobody has suggested or written any of that.

Instead of just giving and answer to a problem....

Giving you the answer teaches you nothing; all you would have is the correct answer with no knowledge of how to obtain an answer to a similar problem in the future. This does not help you in the long run, which is why answers are not given out without some work on your end. Do you understand how Charlie B came up with 800 amps? If not, then the answer is useless to you.

Which is why I asked the question to begin with. To see if I could just get an accurate! An answer to a problem anyone in this industry could have for any reason.

Had the first poster written "800 amps", do you think that is a good measure of the forum's worthiness, to "take time out of [your] schedual to visit"?

I think you will find many members of this forum willing to help you with whatever you need if you put in the work. And cheer up a bit mate, no one here is passing judgement on you or anything. :)

joebell

Chill tough stuff

Chill tough stuff

Why is it that when somebody ask's a question that there are allways these tipical responses. My credentials are not important. I could be anybody. I simply asked a question and didn't get the answer I was seeking. Which is why I asked the question to begin with. To see if I could just get an accurate! An answer to a problem anyone in this industry could have for any reason. Not a bunch of your not studying hard enouph or want it bad enouph routine. Or you should be doing this, or you should be doing that. Or buy this book , take this course. Instead of just giving and answer to a problem....

I really don't care about who has the brain here. My EQ's mine and yours is yours

I don't understand your frustration? All you were asked to do is "show your work " on how you would answer the question, not an unreasonable request. From there it would have generated discussion on how to correctly come about the answer if there happened to be a flaw with the answer given. Nothing more nothing less.

This forum is an excellent place to learn and hone your skills if you give it a chance.

Johnmcca

If you think your journeymans license makes you smarter than the collective 'us' here at the forum, have a nice day. If you choose to apply yourself here, there is an unlimited ammount of information, and assistance available. Sure there will be disagreements, but that is why I'm here. I want the exchange of ideas, I may even learn something. I have 25 years experience and will help where I can and learn where I can.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Isn't 1000 the answer... because the question relates to maximum overcurrent devise rating?

Charlie had the correct answer.

Just remember that although you asked the question there may be others who are reading this thread who don't know how to find the answer either, that's one of the reasons we like to ask for your method of working out the problem, so we all can follow along.

If you were to simply say that you have no idea where to find the answer then you'll get many responses from people who would like to help. Saying that you don't know where to start is perfectly acceptable. Acting as if you can't be bothered isn't.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
gerald chill a bit

gerald chill a bit

Gerald
Welcome to the forum.
This place is pretty good venue to duscuss issues in the electric field. Yes some have rock solid opinions although many do not. what you will get is the experience of many who have many years in the trades. I can gurantee you will learn something new about your trade here. Stay a while voice your opinion on the subject.

I thought I allready replied to this?

I thought I allready replied to this?

But here goes... Isn't it 1000 because they are asking for maximum standard overcurrent device rating? next higher. This is the reason I was asking the question to begin with. Just wanting to check myself....

oops!

oops!

Sorry I just saw it. Now will check. and get back... Sorry guys. I have to realize that I CAN'T SOLVE A PROBLEM IN THE SAME MIND THAT CREATED IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.