Resi auto generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I am planning a job that will require me to install a generator with an automatic transfer switch at a single family dwelling.

My experience is pretty sparse for this kind of job so I am looking for tips, tricks, suggestions and any other info that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Go......

Power Tech

It depends on the meter panel you have to work with.

Some panels have the OH or UG pull section that you can take the jumper wires from the bottom of the meter off to the breaker.

Go to the "service rated" transfer switch from the load side of the meter. Then back to your main breaker

Do not go through the meter section with the power back to the panel.

If it is OH only, the Main breaker may be bussed and you will have to buy another distribution panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are under the '08 Code, 702.5 has made the job more "interesting".
You generator is required to supply the calculated load, so, unless the customer wants a "whole house" unit, you may find the easiest install will lead to a ATS feeding a sub-panel with elected loads.
Some of the generator suppliers offer options for methods of picking up selected loads.
With that in mind, Step 1 is to determine what the generator is to supply.

Most common install here is a breaker in the existing main panel feeding a new sub-panel thru a ATS.

Power Tech

The plan will be to install a sub panel and feed circuits from that.

How heavy is a 12, 14, 17 ish KW unit?

How do you move it into place?

Do you pour a pad?

Make sure the trucking company delivers with a lift gate.

Rollers are a standard if you have flat ground.

I moved a 24' x 12' storage shed alone with a jack and 3" rigid.

The smallest I have installed is a 15KW (60 amps + or -). 1, 4 ton AC. The only callback was to change the battery a couple weeks ago.

It all depends on the house, how many people (which can change).

Now load shedding transfer switches are available. I am sure someone will key in a link for you.

I pour a simple 4" pad.

In my neck of the woods the biggest issue is natural gas capacity. A whole house transfer switch sure simplifies things, especially if they have proposed standby loads on multiple panels. But most homes won't have enough gas capacity to run more than 10k and still support a furnace & water heater.

Scott
Some ECs have a Generator supply/maintenance company do a lot of the work, hoping to get the maintenance contract on the generator.

They will do the paperwork, supply the generator, provide for all the permits, except the electrical. They size the generator and provide delivery and install it on the pad. After you wire it, they will also do the startup and make sure it works properly.

You can do all that, but it sounds like you will need some practice. ;)

In my experience, these companies are the way to go. Develop a good relationship with one, and it will ease your mind, especially the first time the genny does not start.

electricmanscott

Scott
Some ECs have a Generator supply/maintenance company do a lot of the work, hoping to get the maintenance contract on the generator.

They will do the paperwork, supply the generator, provide for all the permits, except the electrical. They size the generator and provide delivery and install it on the pad. After you wire it, they will also do the startup and make sure it works properly.

You can do all that, but it sounds like you will need some practice. ;)

In my experience, these companies are the way to go. Develop a good relationship with one, and it will ease your mind, especially the first time the genny does not start.

Thanks Pierre. I buddy of mine is doing an install soon so I'll be able to check it out up close and personal.

Also I've been getting calls lately from Generac. Sounds like they are looking for people to do pretty much what you describe. Maybe I'll end up being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.