MA Electricians per 1,000 residents, '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

How were these numbers developed? And who did they list as an electrician? Was it everyone listed in the labor department records? What class of electrician did they list? What were there skill sets? Without a breakdown, what purpose does the information serve.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How can you really count electricians? Around here I see many contractors using day laborers for electrical work. Although some have electrical skill many do not. I know that many are paid in cash so there's no record of them ever working. Wondering how you can even put an accurate number on how many are in the trade.

MAK

How can you really count electricians? Around here I see many contractors using day laborers for electrical work. Although some have electrical skill many do not. I know that many are paid in cash so there's no record of them ever working. Wondering how you can even put an accurate number on how many are in the trade.

I assume that these numbers were based on how many have an active electrical license (A & or B).
That # probably does not accurately reflect the # of people who attempt electrical work.:roll:

satcom

Other than government employees - and I am not sure how accurate that is - how accurate is any documentation?
It is accurate enough for those who do the documentation.

If their license Board is like New Jersey, they list the retired, non renewal, and deceased, got to keep those numbers up to get the funding.

If their license Board is like New Jersey, they list the retired, non renewal, and deceased, got to keep those numbers up to get the funding.

Sounds like dead money to me. ;)

We had a licensee who had been dead for 2 years before they posted on the license site he had passed away.
They actually found out when someone else's name came up as using his license:confused:

EBFD6

At the bottom of the chart it lists the source of information as the department of professional licensure, which means they are counting only licensed journeyman and master electricians. They are not counting apprentices or unlicensed (illegal) electrical workers. That being said, I live in a small town where everyone pretty much knows everyone (approx. 2000 pop.) and it states we have 17 electricians in my town. This number, off the top of my head, seems pretty accurate. FWIW

tkb

They list the source as The Department of Professional Licensure which issues the licenses, but I am not sure how they are counting the licenses.

I along with most of the others that hold the masters licenses also hold a journeyman's license.

I don't know if we are counted twice.

joebell

I along with most of the others that hold the masters licenses also hold a journeyman's license.

I don't know if we are counted twice.

Great point, we have to maintain the journeymans to be able to work with the tools. The Commonwealth really knows how to keep the cash flowwing.

tkb

I went to the state's site and searched all of the licenses in my city and filtered them in Excel.

It looks like the link is based on journeyman licenses that are current and expired within one year.

EBFD6

I went to the state's site and searched all of the licenses in my city and filtered them in Excel.

It looks like the link is based on journeyman licenses that are current and expired within one year.

you have too much spare time :grin::grin:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
What use is this number to me? How many electricians know how to install an old work switch box versus electricians that know how to bend pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.