Seperate Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cenlow

I have an existing MCC lineup that was put in 1983. When they ran the main power to this group they did not run a neutral from the power source. My question is can I run a neutral in a separate conduit from the power source to give me a neutral in the existing MCC?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

No you can't run a separate conduit with just a neutral to this MCC.

300.3(B) requires that all conductors of a circuit including the grounded (neutral) conductor be installed in the same raceway or cable.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

I have an existing MCC lineup that was put in 1983. When they ran the main power to this group they did not run a neutral from the power source. My question is can I run a neutral in a separate conduit from the power source to give me a neutral in the existing MCC?

Why do you need it? Plenty of MCC's don't have a neutral ran to them. It gets derived from a control xfmr

RUWired

I wanted to feed a 480/277 NF panelboard from a bucket in the MCC.

if you can't run a neutral conductor through the existing conduit, you might look into providing a 480 delta primary to 480/277 secondary transformer to fed this new panel board.

Rick

Sorry Bob i see you posted the same info.

mcclary's electrical

He could feed it from the MCC if the MCC had a neutal.

He can still do it from the MCC with the addtion of a 480 x 480Y/277 transformer.

I realize he could with the addition of a neutral. I meant in present time. I also pointed out in my first post that it's normally derived from a xfmr.

Status
Not open for further replies.