15 amp recepts in commercial building (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankgi

A GC informed me that a job of his (not mine) failed inspection because the EC installed 15a recepts on 20a circuits. Although this is not something I would do...where is the vio?? I always refer to 210.21 (B)(3). I cant find the vio anywhere else. Most likely an AHJ.
Anyone know anywhere that this is a vio??
Once again:
20a recepts not allowed on 15a circuits, but 15a recepts allowed on 20a circuits per 210.21(B)(3).
Thanks in advance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
NO problem, unless the 15 amp receptacles were single "simplex" recepts, or unless there is a local ordinance.

Typically we have seen over the course of time specifications on jobs that require certain items. Those items may not be code related, as in the minimum requirements.
Yet individuals who may have installed to those specifications over the course of their careers may have thought they were code requirements.
Those same individuals become inspectors and Wha-La!!!
We now have an individual inspector who needs some code training.

There is also the chance there may be a local code that modifies the NEC. Before retraining this individual, I would check the local codes.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Typically we have seen over the course of time specifications on jobs that require certain items. Those items may not be code related, as in the minimum requirements.
Yet individuals who may have installed to those specifications over the course of their careers may have thought they were code requirements.
Those same individuals become inspectors and Wha-La!!!
We now have an individual inspector who needs some code training.

There is also the chance there may be a local code that modifies the NEC. Before retraining this individual, I would check the local codes.

also keep in mind if said inspector is over 65 (like me) retraining him is as easy as pushing a rope :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can have two or more 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. A single duplex is two receptacles so if the 20 amp circuit had at least one 15 amp duplex receptacle it's code compliant. You can not put a 15 single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit but you can put a 20 amp single receptacle on a 15 amp circuit.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

also keep in mind if said inspector is over 65 (like me) retraining him is as easy as pushing a rope :grin:

It is not our job to train him/her. We can do our part in getting him/her to retire early by simply calling there boss and become a headace that won't go away and let them know we are smarter than them and will call everytime they make a mistake in taging. I did do this and it works. We have a right to demand QUALIFIED INSPECTORS. Never back down to an idiot like this. He never was qualified to inspect. Unless you have a local code go after him. What happens fast is they learn you know the code and will be a pain in the a-- if they tag you wrongly. For extra fun send them a bill with a copy to county attourney. If that does not get thru to them spend a few bucks and sue them for damages for 1 million dollers. I guarantee they will respond. We both can play this game.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hit the bar on the way home tonight Jim? :roll:

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
no and this is where we seperate mouse from man. Assume you would accept this tag and very sure you know the inspecter is wrong

No, I would not accept it, but I am sure I wouldn't have to go to court for a million dollars (or dollers) to settle it either. :roll:

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

No, I would not accept it, but I am sure I wouldn't have to go to court for a million dollars (or dollers) to settle it either. :roll:

Roger
That i agree on but if you accept a tag like this you can exspect many more. My point is get there attention. No it will never make it to court because they will back off. I am simply one redneck that just will not put up with tags like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.