15 amp recepts in commercial building (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kacper

A GC informed me that a job of his (not mine) failed inspection because the EC installed 15a recepts on 20a circuits. Although this is not something I would do...where is the vio?? I always refer to 210.21 (B)(3). I cant find the vio anywhere else. Most likely an AHJ.
Anyone know anywhere that this is a vio??
Once again:
20a recepts not allowed on 15a circuits, but 15a recepts allowed on 20a circuits per 210.21(B)(3).
Thanks in advance.

Before you judge the Inspector decision asks yourself if you look the notes on approved plans for this project. It's a very common variance for commercial projects to place a note under condition to the job (specially a commercial one). Those notes are insert by EE assign to the project and like it or not you have to follow up.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone clarified that you cannot put a 20a duplex on a 15a circuit?
I dont see the harm in this.

Jim W in Tampa

Before you judge the Inspector decision asks yourself if you look the notes on approved plans for this project. It's a very common variance for commercial projects to place a note under condition to the job (specially a commercial one). Those notes are insert by EE assign to the project and like it or not you have to follow up.

I for one think that if it meets nec it should pass. As to not meeting the EE specs that should be up to the GC and owner.

A GC informed me that a job of his (not mine) failed inspection because the EC installed 15a recepts on 20a circuits. Although this is not something I would do...where is the vio?? I always refer to 210.21 (B)(3). I cant find the vio anywhere else. Most likely an AHJ.
Anyone know anywhere that this is a vio??
Once again:
20a recepts not allowed on 15a circuits, but 15a recepts allowed on 20a circuits per 210.21(B)(3).
Thanks in advance.

Alot guys are not aware of it, but there some 15 amp recep. that the manufacture instructions say are only allowed on 15 amp circuits. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Alot guys are not aware of it, but there some 15 amp recep. that the manufacture instructions say are only allowed on 15 amp circuits. ;)

How about a link to one of these receptacles, you have brought this up before but as of yet I haven't seen the proof.

A HD or Lowes info sheet is not the manufacturers labeling.

Roger

frankgi

Of course. If the specifications called for 20a devices, but if the specifications did NOT....

iwire

Staff member
You asked me that before, and I left a name of the type of receptacle. Its sold at home depot. check out the Box instructions. ;)

Your talking about this post

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showpost.php?p=1093713&postcount=32.

brother said:
Nothing personal but if you can not show me one I do not believe it. :)

Ok, believe it not, I found the brand. Its not showing it online though, its written on the box. I know its been a long time. ;)

They are made by 'cooper wiring devices' NEMA 5-15R EEMAC 5-15R model box number BR15W its 10 in a box.

It specifically says, in #5. on the back of the box, "Install 15 amp receptacle into 15 amp CIRCUIT ONLY. " This is both side and back wired. Not just for the back wire. and Yes you use up to size 10awg for the back. They are sold at Lowes.

Nothing personal, I still do not believe it.

They could not get a UL listing if they could not be used on 20 amp circuits.

Your talking about this post

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showpost.php?p=1093713&postcount=32.

Nothing personal, I still do not believe it.

They could not get a UL listing if they could not be used on 20 amp circuits.

All I can say is , go to lowes or home depot and get a box and read it for yourself, wheather you want to believe it or not doesnt change the fact that says what it says.

Kinda like some guys I tell about something in the NEC, it says what it says, wheather you believe it or not. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the reason for (No 20a Duplex on a 15a Circuit) so you dont intentionally overload the circuit with a piece of equipment that may have a 20a Male Cap on it?

I honestly have no idea. I can put a single 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit but not a 20 amp duplex. Either device would allow me to plug in a 20 amp appliance with a 20 amp cord cap on the same 15 amp circuit.

elohr46

I honestly have no idea. I can put a single 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit but not a 20 amp duplex. Either device would allow me to plug in a 20 amp appliance with a 20 amp cord cap on the same 15 amp circuit.

This doesn't sound right, are you referring to T210.21(B)(3)?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wow suing me for a million bucks would sure be a waste of time, after $100 you can put as many zeros on it as you want, but good luck getting it.:grin: I could reach in my pocket now and probably give you all the money I have.

I also agree with check the job specs (plans), if it's not there as someone asked, then there is no violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.