Service entrance cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Anyone familiar with service entrance cable that is rated for outdoors. This would be for a single family home and a 200 amp service. Thanks for the help.

chris1971

Exterior service entrance cable

Exterior service entrance cable

Yes. my question would be what type of Service entrance cable would I use to go from inside a house to the exterior of a house. They are currently using a 4/0- 4/0 - 2/0- #2 al. The bare aluminum ground is corroding inside the LB. Wondering if there is a copper cable rated for this application. Thanks

chris1971

Service entrance conductor

Service entrance conductor

I know copper corrodes. I was wondering if there is such a cable that can be run inside a 2" pvc conduit on the exterior of the house.

chris1971

The 2" pipe is just on the exterior of the house which is currently used to protect the aluminum cable. The aluminum cable runs through a finished bathroom floor to the existing 200 amp panel. Just was wondering if there is an exterior rated copper service entrance cable rated for this application. Piping this would be a big challenge.

TOOL_5150

The 2" pipe is just on the exterior of the house which is currently used to protect the aluminum cable. The aluminum cable runs through a finished bathroom floor to the existing 200 amp panel. Just was wondering if there is an exterior rated copper service entrance cable rated for this application. Piping this would be a big challenge.

It shouldnt matter copper or aluminum, you need to figure out why the cable got damaged, and then just replace it with new SE.

~Matt

chris1971

They cut the jacket off inside the LB and the bare aluminum ground wire started corroding. I do plan on replacing this cable with new wire. I'm just curious to know what type of SE is rated for an exterior installation.

Rewire

yes
Cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulation. Insulated conductors laid parallel with bare ground wires helically wound around core. Covered with a reinforced binder tape. Sunlight resistant gray PVC jacket. Above ground service entrance and branch circuit. Maximum operating temperature of phase conductors not to exceed 90 degrees Celsius in wet or dry locations,

rodneee

4/0 seu is rated for outside use whether it is in pipe or not. HOWEVER it is not legal to run it past the service entry point through the house to a remote panel location. you must use 4/0 ser through the house to the remote panel location. you will also have install 200 amp disconnect at the exterior service entry point. (big $$$$$)

macmikeman

Cris1971, it is usually pretty hard to get ser cable properly thru an lb unless you are oversizing the lb at least two sizes. I would consider using a raintight pull box sized for the two conduit entry and or one conduit entry and one cable exit, making sure that the cable is not bent tighter than 5 times the overall cable diameter. Or you could splice in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.