Roughing nightmares in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Is this the inspector that makes you use plastic plate screws? I work at a HD in the area and every week someone comes in looking for them (Which we don't sell) because the inspector wants them.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe all of the contractors who suffer through working with a rogue inspector can get together and file a lawsuit against the town since the inspector's incompetence is costly them money. Pretty sure that would get someones attention. :roll:

mpd

Maybe all of the contractors who suffer through working with a rogue inspector can get together and file a lawsuit against the town since the inspector's incompetence is costly them money. Pretty sure that would get someones attention. :roll:

very hard to prove and probably would not go anywhere, contact regulatory affairs at DCA, that will usually make the my town inspectors wake up

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I work at a HD in the area and every week someone comes in looking for them (Which we don't sell) because the inspector wants them.
I happen to have a pack of them. They're nylon oval-head 1/2" 6-32's.

They strip very easily.

ivsenroute

Hi all,

Out here in a particular borough of northern NJ, I just had an inspector bust my chops about the "whips" I left out side for the future receptacles and lights on the house. He demanded them to be installed in a metal box and grounded before the rough was finished. I have never had this problem before. Arlington makes siding blocks specifically listed for the support of fixtures and a block listed for the support of receptacles, and he WILL NOT accept them in his town. He also made me change out the single gang blue carlon plastic boxes if the LITTLE piece of plastic fell out!!! Not to mention there is a staple within 8" of the box. That little piece of plastic could not hold anyhting, even if it tried. What gives with this guy??? :mad:

Whenever the "whips" are left in place and not tied for final I simply let the installer know that when I come back for the final those boxes have to be left open with the device hanging out so I can see the connections. This is common practice. What you can't inspect on rough, you inspect on final. Just like some guys don't tie together the grounds for rough. It is just more they have to leave hanging out for final.

As far as the staples not being within 8": Why weren't they?

If any of the knock outs were missing where there was no wire then that is legit too.

Sounds like your only legit complaint is about the whips.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You should call the DCA at (609) 984-7609. Susan Borek is good at solving these problems.
It's always a good idea to contact her. She's extremely intelligent and well versed in the trade, she is an advocate for the industry and will back you 100% if you are correct.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some how i have the feeling that even if you win this battle you will loose in the war.You have an inspector on a power trip and he will try to get even.
Jim, It really doesn't matter with this guy. You'll get your chops busted either way so you might as well go on the record and not take any of his crap sitting down. The DCA gets dozens of calls a week about this guy. In fact, there is one county contractors association that started a mail in campaign in an attempt to oust him. Obviously they haven't succeeded. As a rule I just don't look to do work in that town but if I do the price goes up. If I'm going to get my chops busted I might as well make it worth while

The sad part is that on occasion, neighboring towns will use this inspector to cover when their inspectors are on vacation - so you end up confronting him anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jim, It really doesn't matter with this guy. You'll get your chops busted either way so you might as well go on the record and not take any of his crap sitting down. The DCA gets dozens of calls a week about this guy. In fact, there is one county contractors association that started a mail in campaign in an attempt to oust him. Obviously they haven't succeeded. As a rule I just don't look to do work in that town but if I do the price goes up. If I'm going to get my chops busted I might as well make it worth while

The sad part is that on occasion, neighboring towns will use this inspector to cover when their inspectors are on vacation - so you end up confronting him anyway.

I've heard about guys like this and even with the DCA behind you they still have jobs. That's why I suggested in post #24 a possible solution. Towns are already strapped for money and shudder at the potential for lawsuits. You really need to inpress upon the people paying his salary that his negative working relationship with contractors may end up costing them lots of money. Just my 2 cents.

Jim W in Tampa

I've heard about guys like this and even with the DCA behind you they still have jobs. That's why I suggested in post #24 a possible solution. Towns are already strapped for money and shudder at the potential for lawsuits. You really need to inpress upon the people paying his salary that his negative working relationship with contractors may end up costing them lots of money. Just my 2 cents.

You will cost them far more money if each one of you file a suit. Let the press in on it. What i have done in the past is call the chief inspector every time i got a tag wrongfully. After enough of them calls they will take action. Often one mans complaint means very little but if several of you complain and they get calls every day they should take action. Now if what you actually have is a small town that makes a profit out of reinspects then you might just as well ad the extra cost on the bill and let customer know why. If it helps any i think most inspectors try to operate profesionally and follow nec and leave personal likes out of picture. They can not tell you not to use a listed product. And if one ever told me it's his town i assure you he will wish he never said that.

We had one many years ago in Collier county FL initials L B he resighned after what i heard was some electricians scaring him that they would throw off a highrise. How much truth in it i do not know but he did leave.

OP has a major problem that he needs to take action on. However most inspectors fine atleast 3 violations so that even if forced to back down on 1 or 2 they still win. It could be so much as 1 missed staple or 1 nail guard.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
However most inspectors fine atleast 3 violations so that even if forced to back down on 1 or 2 they still win. It could be so much as 1 missed staple or 1 nail guard.
That's a little harsh, methinks. If they're correct, then they're correct. But, I wouldn't call a disagreement "winning" on anyones part.

In my opinion, the electrician and the inspector (should) have a common goal: to create a safe and functional electrical installation.

I have had a couple of disagreements, but they never became antagonistic. We acted together to apply the code to the work at hand.

The two or three direct challenges I've had in the past were handled the same way. We sought the head inspectors opinion together.

And, I won them all! :D :D (Just kidding, but I did prevail; I don't challenge unless I'm sure. :cool:)

Jim W in Tampa

That's a little harsh, methinks. If they're correct, then they're correct. But, I wouldn't call a disagreement "winning" on anyones part.

In my opinion, the electrician and the inspector (should) have a common goal: to create a safe and functional electrical installation.

I have had a couple of disagreements, but they never became antagonistic. We acted together to apply the code to the work at hand.

The two or three direct challenges I've had in the past were handled the same way. We sought the head inspectors opinion together.

And, I won them all! :D :D (Just kidding, but I did prevail; I don't challenge unless I'm sure. :cool:)

Ok the word WIN might be strong but fact is they failed you and the reinspect fee stays because they tagged you for a ligit violation of 1 missing nail plate.

bgeorge

There are staples within 8" of the box, and the plastic knock-out do have wire in them. There are no un-used openings in the box. I wouldn't have a problem letting him see the final connections outside, but what is with the mandatory metal boxes??? I have never had a problem using the Arlington siding blocks for receptacles or lights before....they are listed for the purpose.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok the word WIN might be strong but fact is they failed you and the reinspect fee stays because they tagged you for a ligit violation of 1 missing nail plate.
I've never had a reinspection fee. I think they start them after the first re-inspection here.

Status
Not open for further replies.