Pedicure Chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

north star

I am seeking to find out what requirements are [ NEC ] required for the pedicure chairs, in regard to
grounding or having them connected on a dedicated GFCI circuit, or other.

As always, please provided any applicable articles. We are on the 2008 NEC.

Thanks ya'll !! :grin:

north star

Thank You Mr. Pierre!! As an inspector though, I won't have access to those manufacturers
installation instructions. Those darned GC's throw everything away.

Hendrix

Thank You Mr. Pierre!! As an inspector though, I won't have access to those manufacturers
installation instructions. Those darned GC's throw everything away.

I have inspected two of these businesses. I treated the "foot bath" as a sink and required everything within 6' to be GFCI protected.

kbsparky

..... I won't have access to those manufacturers installation instructions. Those darned GC's throw everything away....

As the inspector-critter on the job, you have the right to demand to see those instructions so you can confirm that they were followed. Hold up the final certificate and guess how fast they'll come up with the paperwork? :roll:

north star

Pierre, Hendrix & kbsparky,

Thanks for the input! I do not have the support to ask for anything. :mad:
Which is why I am on this forum asking you experts. I have to have the correct answers
long before I ask the questions.

I could open a whole new topic and rant, but it wouldn't do me any good. In my
jurisdiction, " It is what it is! "

ceb58

Which is why I am on this forum asking you experts. I have to have the correct answers

That is a load of !!!. We as EC complain about inspectors making up their own rules and the avenues we have to rectify these "make em as they go" inspectors. You have the same avenue. If I installed a piece of equipment that is not specifically addressed in the NEC, such as yours, and you ask to see the mfg. installation instructions then I am obligated to show them to you. If I have complied with those instructions then you are obligated to pass the install. If not then you are obligated to fail the install. I however cannot tell an inspector I dont have the instructions, I installed it how I wanted to and you can take a flying leap because there is nothing you can do about it.

north star

ceb58,

Please go back and re-read my post. I DID say that "I do not have the support to ask for anything.", meaning that in my location, the AHJ is
contractor friendly and not inspector supporting. I have had to succumb to telephone calls from city officials, supervisors and others to not
request additional information, whether it was pertinent or not to the installation. Your location and situation may be different.

For me, ...here, I have to get as much information and answers on the front end, BEFORE I go out to inspect. Also, "thank you" for your input!

dana1028

I too am an inspector - you are correct, if you wait till final and ask for information you seldom get support from your superiors; but if you let the contractor know in advance - even before rough inspection as to what documentation he is required to provide you - then there should be no lack of support.

Be sure to document your request for information. As an inspector, we have the 'correction notice' - I use this form, cross out the printed 'correction notice' and write in some other title that is relevant, like 'Request for Information', or 'Notes to the Contractor'. Sometime I am just giving the contractor a 'heads up' for the next inspection; ie. I let him know what I will be looking for [this is typically things that I often find wrong on jobs, so I give the contractor a heads up so he will be aware of potential problems]. But if I know there will be some strange components installed, I give him a 'heads up' that I will need the mfr documentation.

This 'request for information' gets filed [via computer] with this permit with the date of request. That way there is a record of our conversation, heads-up, or request for information; the contractor then can't come back and say he didn't know.

I have done this for years and my superiors admit the contractor was forewarned and must provide the information at the relevant inspection.

I feel strongly that the contractor must provide relevant mfr. documentation but I also feel just as strongly that I should forewarn the contractor as to what information I will need and when; and I should know that by looking at the approved set of plans.

M. D.

Health Care Facilities.
Buildings or portions of buildings
in which medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical,
or surgical care are provided.
Health care facilities include,
but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited
care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and am-
bulatory care centers, whether permanent or movable.

A pedicure salon is not a health care Facility ,. if that is in fact what the O.P. is alluding to

M. D.

You guys want to here something funny??.........If this goes through most pedicure salons will become bathrooms

from the 2011 draft

Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of
the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a foot bath,
a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures. [ROP 2-5]

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

A pedicure salon is not a health care Facility ,. if that is in fact what the O.P. is alluding to
Agreed that it is not included but do you see it as similar. They are using electrical appliances on people. Would think something needs attention. GFCI would be smart but not required. I think OP is not getting much respect from his own department. Without specs he will be forced to pass what might not be nec compliant.

M. D.

since toe nails and hair are much the same thing,..I'd say it's more like a hair salon or barber shop. I looked on line at the manuals for pedicure chars all three that i look at require GFCI ,..they did no use much ,.. one was 70 watts.

north star

Jim W in Tampa,

You are thinking along the same lines as I am. I too think that there ought to be some type of redundant
grounding on these types chairs/stations. Also, how is a Podiatrist' pedicure chair different than
Bubba's pedicure chair, in regard to protecting the customer in it? :confused:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Every one of these jobs we've done here the chairs all required GFCI protection. This is another good reason why all TI's should be required to go through plan check. As with "watch this", the words "it's just a simple little job", should always raise a red flag.

Last edited:

JFletcher

I have inspected two of these businesses. I treated the "foot bath" as a sink and required everything within 6' to be GFCI protected.

How would you treat something like this?:

drscholls-footspa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.