NM Cable and Bonding Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJSMITH1

Not only is that bonding not effective for NM (as others have pointed out), you cannot use a bonding bushing in lieu of a fitting or conduit locknut. In this case, the NM fitting locknuts have been removed and replaced with a bonding bushing.

Still an interesting concept!:D

LJSMITH1

The NEC allows the use of only a bushing if it is not entirely made of insulating material.

I believe that the NEC does not specifically allow a bonding bushing to take the place of a fitting locknut. Typical bonding bushings (which have setscrews to hold onto the conduit or fitting) are not listed for that use. Bonding bushings have different listing specification requirements (UL467) than fitting locknuts (UL514B) and are not tested for use as a locknut function. In the OP, the bonding bushings were used to secure NM fittings.

344.46 intends for a bushing to protect the conductors but not support the conduit. In 300.4(F), it specifically prohibits NM bushings from being used to secure a raceway or fitting, but does not mention anything about metallic bushings solely being used for such purpose.

This being said, there are a few bonding bushings out there that can be used to support Rigid conduit as a locknut and provide a bonding point (i.e. T&B's "BlackJack). However, I do not believe that bushing is listed for use with a fitting. I looked at the UL listing and there is no mention of being acceptable for use with fittings in place of a locknut - like a hub or standard connector. http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalogues/online/industrial_MRO/pdf/c5/fittings_01e_eng.pdf This bushing is listed for mechanically holding conduit by UL514B and bonding by UL467.

Of course, at the end of the day, anyone can do anything to try to get away with it - just like in the OP.:cool:

iwire

Staff member
Of course, at the end of the day, anyone can do anything to try to get away with it - just like in the OP.:cool:

You know that really is not called for, I work under the NEC and I am trying to tell you what it allows me to do without 'getting away' with anything.

LJSMITH1

You know that really is not called for, I work under the NEC and I am trying to tell you what it allows me to do without 'getting away' with anything.

I didn't mean you, Bob:roll: I am talking about the person who did the installation in the OP's picture.

...And I am only trying to explain what the bonding bushings are and are not tested for...

Sheesh...Nothing personal.:)

e57

Check out the GEC ..... armored all the way to the point of connection. :grin:
And double lugged.

Anyway this is a perfect example of the scope of work being described over the phone to someone who has never done it before.... Or maybe never seen the inside of a panel before...

glene77is

What about the two conductor cable, like a pair if neutrals,
entering about 3 inches from the right side, near the rear of the can.
I think I see a two conductor appliance extension cord.
Look the the double white conductors, with a little twist.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.