SC protection of Transformer secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SJK

If memory serves the omission of overcurrent protection in a service lateral is one reason why you can't mix feeder conductors with service conductors in pullbox, wireway etc.

hurk27

I would not make that guess, I have learned that can depend on the power company but many power companies size the primary protection above what would protect the secondary conductors.

Charlie E has pointed out that the POCO he works for sizes the primary protection to carry 150% of the transformers rated current indefinitely

As most of our area, they only care about the primary conductor running down the street, our state has a utility commission who demands low outage, and they get it, by over fusing, and only protecting there conductors, if even that. service drops around here are what we call a burn free, as they are smaller then our SEC's from the drop to the panel, so hopefully the POCO's drop burns free.:cool:

Being outside, I don't think the ground will catch fire?:cool:

Power Tech

As most of our area, they only care about the primary conductor running down the street, our state has a utility commission who demands low outage, and they get it, by over fusing, and only protecting there conductors, if even that. service drops around here are what we call a burn free, as they are smaller then our SEC's from the drop to the panel, so hopefully the POCO's drop burns free.:cool:

Being outside, I don't think the ground will catch fire?:cool:

No protection on the secondary. In some houses around here the service conduit goes through the attic.

Ah, what do they care, they write the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.