disconnect for above ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

Does a cord and cap connected pool pump motor meet the requirements of 680.12 as a maintenance disconnecting means or is a disconnect switch required? Imo the cord and cap satisfy the requirement,another inspector disagrees with me.

I believe that not having a switch is poor design when it comes to backwashing but it is not a code violation,I wish it was.

680.22 Requires receptacles. A female cord cap is not a receptacle. See the definition of receptacle in Art 100, and take a look at the definition of cord caps and receptacles in the UL White Book.

I should also mention that some pump equipment is 'hard wired', that also is permitted.

romeo

680.22 Requires receptacles. A female cord cap is not a receptacle. See the definition of receptacle in Art 100, and take a look at the definition of cord caps and receptacles in the UL White Book.

I should also mention that some pump equipment is 'hard wired', that also is permitted.

Thank you for the response Pierre.

I may not have explained clearly.The pump motor has a code compliant 3 wire cord and male cap attached to a single 3 wire twist lock receptacle. My question is is there any other switch required?

As I said I think it is poor design and inconvenient when it comes to backwashing but imo not a code violation.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Plugs and receptacles can be disconnecting means but most are not allowed to be controllers.

The circuit breaker could meet the code requirements as the controller but the HO will have to go inside to flip it on and off.:mad:

romeo

Good point IWIRE and thank you. I wish there was a requirement that the controller be in site.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Doesn't this pump have a timer controller? I wouldn't like a timer as a disconnect -- too easy to have it click on at the wrong time. But a cord and plug should work for the maintenance disconnect.

The timer would work for back washing except during that rare instance where it automatically kicks on while you've got the valve in a closed off or other bad position.

Code doesn't require a timer, but once they leave the thing on for a few days or weeks and see their power bill, they may go for a timer.

electricmanscott

Why would a cord and receptacle NOT be acceptable? :confused:

Think about it it, what better way to comply with
" One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting"

Last edited:

What about 210.50?? section (A) in particular. I believe in this application a female cord cap would be considered a 'receptacle' in this instance, even if someone has a 'different' definition for a 'pendant'. ;)

mpd

I am not following you, I think we all agree a cord and plug can be the disconnecting means. :confused:

maybe i am confused, (not the first time) i thought the op was asking if the cord & cap satisfied 680.12

the last couple aboveground pools i did the pump motors came with switches

iwire

Staff member
maybe i am confused, (not the first time) i thought the op was asking if the cord & cap satisfied 680.12

I think he was actually more concerned with using a cord and plug as the controller (an NEC violation) for backwashing and other pol maintenance.

It seems that to pass inspection all the electrician has to say is the cord and plug is the disconnecting means and the breaker is the controller. Unfortunately we know the HO is going to end up using the plug as a controller. IMO this is a lousy set up but the code does not really address it.

mpd

while were on this subject, last couple aboveground pools i inspected, came with 120 volt 1.5HP motors and 20 amp twistlock receptacle and attachment plug, which are rated for 1HP, but these motors did have factory switches on the motor, anybody seen this

Status
Not open for further replies.