Oven disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

CA inspector wants a disconnect on a cabinet mounted oven in a kitchen. He sites code section 8.422.31 (B). We feel he's misreading the code. What do you think?

resistance

I would say the inspector is reading it wrong.

Never seen a cord and plug connected cabinet mounted oven.

Sure the oven has an on and off knob!?

Last edited:

resistance

I agree with Jim and Iwire!

I still say the inspector is reading it wrong, if all he or she stated was that you needed a disconnect within sight! You do have the option to install the lock out--as stated by jim.

Assuming you have a disconnecting means:grin:

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
What about a unit switch as in 422.34?

And what's up with the '8' in 8.422.31? Is this supposed to signify the '08 code? California is still on the '05 NEC.

e57

Breaker lock out - or a toggle suitable for the amperage within sight... The last time I did this I used a raised industrial cover on a 4 11/16 ext. box used to feed it - boy oh boy was that expensive!!!! Why? Because some dope used a small panel and filled it with twins... (to save a few bucks...)

benaround

Not many appliances are equipped with a switch that qualifies.

What part am I not seeing ?

1. unit switch(es) with a marked off position that is part of an appliance and disconnects
all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means---------.

e57

What part am I not seeing ?

1. unit switch(es) with a marked off position that is part of an appliance and disconnects
all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means---------.
That in this day and age that there are very few ovens that have an "OFF" switch.... Most have an electronic timer and SCR control circuit so as there is never an "OFF" so long as it is energized... i.e. it would be rare to find an oven with a switch that qualifies.... And that said a disconnecting means is required.... A switch or breaker and if not within sight, it needs a lock-off provision...

jwelectric

With all the switches or controllers if you prefer turned off and the oven door open does the oven light still come on?

Then all ungrounded conductors are not disconnected and a disconnect that is within sight is now required unless the appliance has no motors in which case a lock-out on the breaker would be compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.