microwave circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmshiller

I was wondering if a 15 amp dedicated circuit is allowed for a 11.5 amp microwave. I can't find a code reference that requires a 20 amp. This is a remodel with a conduit that will only allow a 14/2 romex.

JohnJ0906

I was wondering if a 15 amp dedicated circuit is allowed for a 11.5 amp microwave. I can't find a code reference that requires a 20 amp. This is a remodel with a conduit that will only allow a 14/2 romex.

Unless the instructions state that a 20 amp circuit is required, 210.19(A)(1) indicates that the 15 amp circuit is OK.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with John. The only thing I would be concerned with is the start-up current of the unit. If it's a counter-top unit you're probably OK. If it's an under-cab unit the start-up currents can sometimes run up over 20 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with John. The only thing I would be concerned with is the start-up current of the unit. If it's a counter-top unit you're probably OK. If it's an under-cab unit the start-up currents can sometimes run up over 20 amps.
Even withstart up current , if there is any, I seriously doubt the breaker would be an issue.

growler

Unless the instructions state that a 20 amp circuit is required.

The simple thing is just to read the instuctions from the manufacturer.

I often wonder why people never want to open that little book labeled installation instructions. :D

The other one they may considered reading is operating instructions.

Never read either myself ( waiting for the movie) but here they can be helpfull. :grin::grin:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I read instructions . . . sometimes.

I also eat quiche. :cool:

I read instructions.....
After a Christmas Eve take it apart and put it back together according to the instructions,
dumb......!
Young dad's, take note. It's easier to read the instructions than take it apart and start again.

Microwave should be fine on a 15 amp circuit.

300 posts! yeah!!!!!

electricmanscott

All micros I've instaled required a 20 amp ckt.

Not that you don't beleive what you say but I doubt it.

I have done a gazillion kitchens and other than a few rare micros 15 amp circuit requirements are the norm. In fact I just looked up a few models and all spec a 15 amp circuit.

Overkill is a waste of materials, money and time.

M. D.

I can't recall ever seeing a residential micro with a 20 amp cord cap .. not saying they are not out there ,.just that they are very uncommon where I live and work .

growler

I can't recall ever seeing a residential micro with a 20 amp cord cap .. not saying they are not out there ,.just that they are very uncommon where I live and work .

They may not have the 20 amp cord cap but there are units where the installation intructions call for a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The only way you will ever know is to read the installation instructions. Some just call for a dedicated 15 amp circuit.

The one's that call for a 20 amp circuit may work on a 15 amp circuit but that would not be following instructions. There is no reason to second quess the manufacturer's instructions the simple thing is just to follow them. The customer can't complain because it's written very plainly in the book.

M. D.

so if they call for a dedicated (whatever that is) 20 amp branch circuit and the unit has a 15 amp attachment plug can I use a single 15 amp receptacle ,.. so that it remains a dedicated circuit???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
so if they call for a dedicated (whatever that is) 20 amp branch circuit and the unit has a 15 amp attachment plug can I use a single 15 amp receptacle ,.. so that it remains a dedicated circuit???
You know that answer. art. 210.21(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.