wrapping wires around screw terminations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2X

Is there a technique that might be considered the "standard " for attaching solid wire to the screw terminals on devices. I've tried a couple of different ways and I'm not happy with any. I'd like to know the most common way and practice it until I can do it in the dark. Thanks for any input..

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm guessing that you are working primarily with NM.

For that, I'm partial to a combination tool that scores the sheath allowing that to be pulled, then cuts the conductors to length, has #12 or #14 stripping slots, and has a near needle nose-like end for shaping the hook. Klein makes a nice one.

Buck Parrish

Their is a little hole on ideal strippers for bending hooks, too. I just use the end of my strippers to bend it, then squeeze it around the screw.

peter d

I've always used the nose of my T-strippers to make the loops. Right now I'm partial to this Greenlee stripper after using Ideal for many years.

06852.JPG

If I don't have the strippers handy then I'll use linesman pliers.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Bend with strippers or needle nose, then squeeze around terminal. Have tried those bending holes on Klein strippers, not for me though many guys get great results. Best method: back wired receptacles !

Last edited:

jeremysterling

Bend with strippers or needle nose, then squeeze around terminal. Have tried those bending holes on Klein strippers, not for me though many guys get great results. Best method: back wired receptacles !

You forgot the nifty Klein screwdriver with the bending post.

I'm with you, flashlight: 15A receps and solid wire are a match made for backstabbing.:)

Ken9876

It's really about whatever works for you, that is quick and makes a good connection. I've been using my linemans for years without any problem. Just need to watch you don't knick the conductor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually use the tip of my Kleins to bend a perfect 180. They're already in my hands, since I just stripped the wire with them.

As for using the tip of the NM strippers, I don't like flexing them. I find the side holes much better. Anything that makes a U.

Added: From the wording, I get the feeling you're asking about tightening the screw. Can you restate the question?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
You forgot the nifty Klein screwdriver with the bending post.

I'm with you, flashlight: 15A receps and solid wire are a match made for backstabbing.:)

#14 is not allowed in NYC so the screw-tightened backwired spec receptacles are the way to go--expensive, so I usually find myself bending hooks.

Cavie

back wired outlets and switches should be outlawed.

K2X

I usually use the tip of my Kleins to bend a perfect 180. They're already in my hands, since I just stripped the wire with them.

As for using the tip of the NM strippers, I don't like flexing them. I find the side holes much better. Anything that makes a U.

Added: From the wording, I get the feeling you're asking about tightening the screw. Can you restate the question?

Getting the wires securely around the screws is my problem. Like the other day I had 4 hours to replace 40 old 2 prong recepts which included tapping a ground screw and moving furniture. I found my time snag was consistantly getting the wires secured around the screw, (this j-man does not allow backstabbing). I finished 19 recepticles in 4 hours.

Anyway thanks for the replys. I have the day off, (-3*F), and some wire and some recepticles. I'll practice standing at a bench and see what i can come up with. Thanks again..

Howard Burger

Doesn't sound like you took too long to do what you did, considering the obstacles. I'm forever underestimating what I can get done in a given amount of time. I use my flat screwdriver on the screws rather than my phillips becasue I can tighten the screw more solidy and I don't ruin the tip of the screwdriver by overtorquing. Stay warm.

sparky=t

Getting the wires securely around the screws is my problem. Like the other day I had 4 hours to replace 40 old 2 prong recepts which included tapping a ground screw and moving furniture. I found my time snag was consistantly getting the wires secured around the screw, (this j-man does not allow backstabbing). I finished 19 recepticles in 4 hours.

Anyway thanks for the replys. I have the day off, (-3*F), and some wire and some recepticles. I'll practice standing at a bench and see what i can come up with. Thanks again..

don't see that type of dedication much anymore, most would just shrug it off, glad to see that there are still some of us left!! have a great day

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have found that to speed things up, getting the correct angle after making the bend helps. Some receptacles have the terminal recessed a bit making getting a #12 under the screw a bugger sometimes.

The standard is to have a 3/4 turn wrap, but if I end up with only a full 1/2 and it's tight, so be it.

Some receptacles are so cheap that they break if you over tighten the screw the least bit and will work loose if you don't get them tight enough.

If I have a bunch to do I will put pigtails on all the new receptacles ahead of time and do it on a nice work space for mass production. This drastically cuts the R/R time because all that's needed is the ceremonial twisting of wire nuts for the connection. One caveat, make sure the boxes will accommodate the extra connections. Some won't and you are stuck with terminating while you are on the floor or bent over.

For doing amount of swaps you are, it's too bad we can't trust WAGO type connectors just yet. Pigtailing the new receptacles and using WAGO's to hook them up would be super fast, plus the WAGO's don't take up as much space.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
don't see that type of dedication much anymore, most would just shrug it off, glad to see that there are still some of us left!! have a great day

Yes, it is nice to see someone who likes the trade enough to tinker around at home. Until I became an electrician I never knew what it was like to really enjoy a job.

My driving force is curiosity, as seems to be the case with the OP. From figuring out how to speed up connecting receptacles to understanding the principals of alternating current and how they affect what we do, there is and always will be something to learn.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Getting the wires securely around the screws is my problem.
I think I see now.

I bend the 180-degree hook in the wire, make sure the screw is backed out, hook the wire onto the screw (in the right direction, of course), and pull on the receptacle to keep the hook seated on the screw, and anticipate the hook's tendency to rotate with the screw as it's tightened.

Added: I usually use an S-1 (square drive) bit in my electric driver, instead of a Philips, for the same reason as Howard. The S-1 fits the 6-32 mounting screws as well. I make each termination as if it's the most important connection I'll ever make. I also like the back-wiring clamp type.

K2, it's much more important to make your connections well than it is to make them quickly. Don't let your work quality suffer for the sake of speed. It'll come with experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.