amperage on a neutural

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARKYNSJ

I measured the amperage on a neutural that is part of a 3 wire 100 amp panel, 120/240 volt. One hot carried 21 amps, second leg carried 38amps and the neutural carried 26 amps. Does this sound normal for the nuetural to carry so much current?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Of the current measured on the ungrounded conductors, how much is flowing in L-L loads and how much is L-N?

Roger

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

If the panel is fed with 2 phases of a 3-phase wye, then the neutral should be about 33, not 26. So the amps don't add up for either services.

Did you check the GEC for amperage?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Something else is wrong. 38-21=17.

But knowing how much of the ungrounded current is L-N and how it is divided between the legs will help in knowing what the neutral load should be and then start looking from there.

Roger

gar

Occupation
EE
091205-0851 EST

SPARKYNSJ:

Additional information is needed.

We really need to know if source is single or three phase. Measure each line to neutral voltage with a DVM that resolves 0.1 V. Then measure the line to line voltage with the same meter. If the sum of the two voltages from line to neutral are close to equal to the line to line voltage, then it is a single phase center tapped transformer supply. If the sum of the two line to neutral voltages is closer to the line to line voltage divided by 0.866, then it is a 3 phase Y source.

Next remove all loads from the main panel. Measure the current from the ground bus of the main panel to all grounding paths. Most particularly the water pipe. If there is negligible current, then the neutral current is a result of loads on the main panel.

If the supply is three phase, both line to neutral voltages are very close in value (like within 1 V), and all loads are resistive, then assuming 120 deg phase difference the neutral current is about 38 - 0.5*21 = 38 - 10.5 = 27.5 A. Not too far from the 26 A measured.

Separately assume it is really single phase, then an adequate reactive load can cause the same result.

hardworkingstiff

But knowing how much of the ungrounded current is L-N and how it is divided between the legs will help in knowing what the neutral load should be and then start looking from there.

Roger

On single-phase distribution, shouldn't the neutral always be A-B=N (use absolute value)? I don't see how L-N loads affect this since when they(branch circuit neutrals) all hit the busbar, the service entry N amps would be the difference in the two ungrounded conductors.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
On single-phase distribution, shouldn't the neutral always be A-B=N (use absolute value)? I don't see how L-N loads affect this since when they(branch circuit neutrals) all hit the busbar, the service entry N amps would be the difference in the two ungrounded conductors.

Exactly, and when we find out how much of the current is L-L in the ungrounded conductors we can then figure out how much current "should" be L-N, then we would need to figure out how these L-N loads are divided between the legs and this would let us know how much current we "should" be reading on the service neutral.

If the OP hadn't said 120/240 v I would think the three phase scenario would be the answer as already stated.

Roger

Last edited:

gar

Occupation
EE
091205-0953 EST

hardworkingstiff:

Your statement is correct for resistive loads in the center tapped supply circuit you are assuming.

When you make an ordinary current measurement there is no phase information. Thus, if one current is shifted in phase relative to the other there will be a different result than that of your equation.

In fact your equation with the minus sign and using the absolute values of the currents implies that the two currents flowing into the neutral are 180 deg out of phase.

dkarst

091205-0851 EST

If the supply is three phase, both line to neutral voltages are very close in value (like within 1 V), and all loads are resistive, then assuming 120 deg phase difference the neutral current is about 38 - 0.5*21 = 38 - 10.5 = 27.5 A. Not too far from the 26 A measured.

Maybe I'm slow this morning but for 3 phase assumption it seems like part of phasor math is missing... shouldn't there be a 21 cos30 ~ 18 component as well for a total of about 32Amps?

hardworkingstiff

091205-0953 EST

hardworkingstiff:

Your statement is correct for resistive loads in the center tapped supply circuit you are assuming.

When you make an ordinary current measurement there is no phase information. Thus, if one current is shifted in phase relative to the other there will be a different result than that of your equation.

In fact your equation with the minus sign and using the absolute values of the currents implies that the two currents flowing into the neutral are 180 deg out of phase.

That (IMO) is the determing factor in a "single-phase" distribution. I've read the many pages on the discussion of whether 2 legs and a neutral of a WYE is a single-phase distribution, and I still maintain this view.

How much phase shifting would you expect to see in a residence? I thought that's what the OP suggested, maybe I missed that.

EDIT: I went to the OP, and it did not mention a residence, so my simplistic review is..... worthless, :)

gar

Occupation
EE
091205-1026 EST

dkarst:

If I did it on paper I might get it correct. I only subtracted the inphase component. 33 does seem to be the approximate value assuming resistive loads from neutral to the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.