Replacing old ceiling fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I find that new surface mount ceiling fixtures require that the branch circuit wires be rated 90 degrees. Of course the older homes do not meet this requirement. I see this instruction on many, if not all of the surface fixtures that have the fiberglass insulation between the canopy and the ceiling. Presumably the fiberglass is there to keep the wires in the outlet box from getting hot. Or maybe it's there to keep heat from escaping into the attic.

I realize one work around is to put a JB in the attic and run to the light outlet box with new wire but we don't always have an attic.

Considering this, are there fixtures made to alleviate this incompatability? I would think a fixture could be made that does not heat up the BC wires. I don't think it would be the type described above but there must be some choices.

mkgrady

OP here. If you take away my responses to this post it has the lowest response rate of any I have seen lately as a function of views verses replies. And if you take away the responses that are not really addressing the question the response rate is even lower.

Anybody have a theory for the response rate? Is this just not an interesting subject?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Anybody have a theory for the response rate? Is this just not an interesting subject?
Apparently not. The only two lileky responses would be either "I find a place to put in a box to make a splice," or "I just mount the fixtures and ignore the wire." I will say I've never heard it brought up outside the forum.

mkgrady

Apparently not. The only two lileky responses would be either "I find a place to put in a box to make a splice," or "I just mount the fixtures and ignore the wire." I will say I've never heard it brought up outside the forum.

That tells me that inspectors probably ignore it.

electricmanscott

Do the inspectors ignore it most of the time?

I had one inspector in 15 years question the temp rating of the wiring in an reno job. I had rewired that light any way so it wasn't an issue. He also checked to see if I had LV dimmers for the LV lights, another first and only.

Unless the wiring is falling apart in my hand I just put the light up and go on with life. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.