Fishing tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Saw a post on here awhile back about the best fishing tools around. They were from something like good tools or fun tools or something like that. Anybody have a suggestion? The cost was about $70 for the kit.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I will look into that as well. I have to be honest, I have not had a lot of luck with the flexible bit. Seems to drift out the other side of the wall to easily.
I thought the bit was expensive, after I went through finished walls a few times is when I learned the true cost. Now I like to run a galvanized screw through the carpet and drill up from underneath (galvanized because it's easier to find). I still have my diversibits but haven't used them in years.

480sparky

I will look into that as well. I have to be honest, I have not had a lot of luck with the flexible bit. Seems to drift out the other side of the wall to easily.

712P_.jpg

480sparky

I kind of like that tool. I have only used a wrench and always had to be really careful not to mar (spelling?) up the wall.
Cool!

Methinks Home Depot carries them, as well as a decent supply house. They're also pretty spiffy with 'aiming' the fiberglass sticks.

laketime

I used that tool as well but I was in a tight spot in a single gang cut in box that was in a 2" thick wood wall. It was not able to turn the bit enough. Not to mention I was working it out the side of the cut in.:mad: It was not a good morning.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Jack chain or 12' ceiling grid wire for fishing, haven't met an open cavity yet these can't handle, cheap too.

I like cheap as well. Hard to beat an old Stanley tape measure with a couple of wraps of electrical tape instead of the factory supplied hook. It will slide down wall cavities even if they are insulated.

One more trick is to take twice as much 10 AWG solid as you need plus a bit extra- fold it in half secure one end and chuck the other in your drill. Spin it up nice and tight and go fishin'.

boyle78

I saw a mention a while back of a small steel chain and a flexable magnet....I got me a set-up and it works awesome! I couldn't find the steelball bearing chain, but the small looped jack chain worked wicked good. Northern Tool has the magnet for less than $10.

480sparky

I saw a mention a while back of a small steel chain and a flexable magnet....I got me a set-up and it works awesome! I couldn't find the steelball bearing chain, but the small looped jack chain worked wicked good. Northern Tool has the magnet for less than $10.

Try a lamp & lighting store. I get steel ball chain in long lengths there, and cut as needed.

My home-made set-up:

Creepzit2.jpg

Brass end is from the plumbing department at the hardware store. It's simply a toilet flush valve stand-off I cut off and rethreaded with 6/32 threads.

It fits into the end of my CreepZits.

Creepzit3.jpg

With this, I can 'aim' or 'direct' the steel chain where I need to, and use the magnet you describe to 'catch' it.

Status
Not open for further replies.