Where do the inspectors put these "red tags" I keep hearing about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I hear this term when talking about inspectors finding code violations. Are they stickers that are put on the permit, or tags like the seals the POCO uses on meter sockets?

I've never seen one and was wondering what they look like.

tkb

I know what they are, but I have never seen one either.

Must not be a Massachusetts thing.

480sparky

"Red tag" is simply a generic term for a failed inspection.

Just like no one gets a 'pink slip' any more, or foreigners get a 'green card'.

220/221

Here, they place a red sticker on the panel cover or somewhere else obvious.....at least that's what I've heard.

SEO

I have a form thats called a Field Correction Notice. I list the violations and cite the code section. It has 3 copies one to leave at the job one for the office and one for me. I leave a copy with the permit card or if the contractor is on site give it to him and go over the violations. I also have red tags but I prefer the FCN.

Kdog76

I've seen several variations: (really comes down to something "illegal" happened, electrical or otherwise)

1) From the building department: a bright red or other florescent colored tag or sticker that is posted on the main entrance(s). This will post both the illegal condition (e.g. uninhabitable / untenable residence) and will list the reasons why, with the signature of the AHJ (not necessarily the electrical inspector). I've seen where a GC attempted to have a "open house" or even having people move in prior to having occupancy (in new construction) I've also seen it where slumlords try to rent out places that our local housing authority deems untenable (in existing construction).

2) From the utility: A black meter tag means they didn't pay the bill. I've solved a lot of power outage / service calls just by going to look at the meter first (e.g. where a landlord says the tenant is w/o power). I've yet to see the utility issue a red tag, (which I'm sure they do in cases of power theft & such)

3) From OSHA: On a construction job, a red tag issued by OSHA can completely stop work until certain requirements are met. (Trust me you don't want this one). In this case you WILL be notified of it even if you are not issued the "red badge of courage".

Now on to the one you probably want a clue on:

4) The local electrical inspector: They decide to red tag a job. It can mean a failed inspection, but a red tag goes beyond this. It normally means some serious infraction of rules occured (e.g. NEC or local codes were knowingly & willingly ignored). AHJ has the right to issues fines & such, and in my area has been known to order services disconnected & leave the customer w/o power until such issues are resolved.

The red tag means someone did something they shouldn't have (duh!) and I've seen there is usually a LOT of ignoring the rules before it gets to that. Worst case: no occupancy and/or service disconnected for the premises, fines issued, licenses lost, on and on...

Bottom line: you don't one on any job you ever do.

Kdog76

"Red tag" is simply a generic term for a failed inspection.

Just like no one gets a 'pink slip' any more, or foreigners get a 'green card'.

I would never call a failed inspection a red tag. I would definitely distinguish the two... Have I failed inspections before? You bet. Have I had a job get red tagged? NO! :mad: Maybe around here it carries a heavier meaning (e.g. heads will roll). Then again, maybe a "red tag" to everyone else really means just a failed inspection, and I am referring to other aspects of shutting down a work site. I've haven't been wrong yet, have I?

Last edited:

480sparky

I would never call a failed inspection a red tag. I would definitely distinguish the two... Have I failed inspections before? You bet. Have I had a job get red tagged? NO! :mad: Maybe around here it carries a heavier meaning (e.g. heads will roll). Then again, maybe a "red tag" to everyone else really means just a failed inspection, and I am referring to other aspects of shutting down a work site. I've haven't been wrong yet, have I?

A 'red tag' doesn't shut down a job site. (It simply means, to me at least, that there's sutf that needs correction in order to pass inspection.)

A Stop Work Order does.

DSC05609a.jpg

Cavie

In my 40 years, failed inspections got you a yellow tag left on the posted permit explaining the reason for failure and you knew that also ment a $25.00 reinspection fee charged to the GC at the end of the job before a CO is issued. After you fixed the problem, you called for a reinspection. Here a red tag is a stop work order.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a few tags. The red one is one the left. :roll:
(Actually more like an orange tag).

Red%20Sticker.jpg

Kdog76

I may have been confusing a red tag w/ a stop work order. However, around these parts a red tag can also mean no occupancy, which could happen for a number of reasons.

480sparky

I have yet to see a 'fail' tag of any sort on my jobs.

An 8?x11 permit is posted on the job site, and if the job passes the inspector signs it on the spot. If there's a problem, there's no signature on it and the 'following' trades cannot continue.

For instance, if the framing inspection fails, the mechanical trades cannot work on the job until the framing passes.

If any of the mechanical trades fail, the insulators & drywallers cannot start until the problems is/are corrected.

On occasion, I do get a small white tag to hang on the panel when a small job passes. This is typically a one-inspection electrical-only job where the big permit is not required to be posted. Examples might be: adding a single dedicated circuit in an existing structure, or rebuilding a service mast torn down in a storm.

jaylectricity

Occupation

An 8?x11 permit is posted on the job site, and if the job passes the inspector signs it on the spot. If there's a problem, there's no signature on it and the 'following' trades cannot continue.

For instance, if the framing inspection fails, the mechanical trades cannot work on the job until the framing passes.

If any of the mechanical trades fail, the insulators & drywallers cannot start until the problems is/are corrected.

That is what most of my experience has been, and that's why I was wondering about the tag. On the 6-7 times I didn't pass with flying colors, 4-5 of them signed off with the understanding that I would fix the one or two problems he found. The other two required a re-inspection.

masterinbama

A 'red tag' doesn't shut down a job site. (It simply means, to me at least, that there's sutf that needs correction in order to pass inspection.)

A Stop Work Order does.

DSC05609a.jpg

On occasion, I do get a small white tag to hang on the panel when a small job passes. This is typically a one-inspection electrical-only job where the big permit is not required to be posted. Examples might be: adding a single dedicated circuit in an existing structure, or rebuilding a service mast torn down in a storm.

apparently you have. But it wasn't your fault they didn't tell you it was an electric fireplace, complete with the Amish mantle.

480sparky

apparently you have. But it wasn't your fault they didn't tell you it was an electric fireplace, complete with the Amish mantle.

Actually, I would not consider a Stop Work notice to be a 'tag'. In this case, it's not a 'failed' inspection, but rather no inspection at all because there's no permit for the fireplace.

I have yet to go through an inspection (on my work alone) where I have been required to be reinspected before any other work can continue. I either pass with flying colors or have some very minor issues the inspectors trust me to resolve on my own or they will check on it at final.

masterinbama

Actually, I would not consider a Stop Work notice to be a 'tag'. In this case, it's not a 'failed' inspection, but rather no inspection at all because there's no permit for the fireplace.

I have yet to go through an inspection (on my work alone) where I have been required to be reinspected before any other work can continue. I either pass with flying colors or have some very minor issues the inspectors trust me to resolve on my own or they will check on it at final.

I know that, but the "free" electric fireplace commercial was on the TV while I was reading this thread.

jaylectricity

Occupation

One of my re-inspects was a couple minor things (GFI on receptacle 5'11" from laundry sink being one), but I wasn't there at the final and the GC had been working on this house for 2 years. So I'm sure he was just being very thorough and by the book. The other one was an riser on a service that I put in without an expansion joint between fixed points (Stupid rookie mistake), but he was also rough inspecting some work in the basement, so the "re-inspection" came when I got the final inspection.

danickstr

I have always understood a red tag to be a stop work order as well. It is usually attached to the front door of the place that is having the illegal work done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.