800 amp ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Controls Guy

I am writing to request a common sense test on specifying a new ASCO 4000 automatic transfer switch for a waste treatment plant.

This is a an underground replacement service with new 800A 480 3 phase disconnect and tentatively an ASCO model 4000 service entrance rated transfer switch.

1) Does anybody have good/bad experiences with the ASCO 4000?

2) Should I select a switched neutral or a solid neutral connection in specifying the model? Common sense indicates a switched neutral would be more advantageous, in case there is issues with the utility.

Thanks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I am writing to request a common sense test

Wrong forum for that.

This is a an underground replacement service with new 800A 480 3 phase disconnect and tentatively an ASCO model 4000 service entrance rated transfer switch.

They are on par with Kohler and Lakeshore. Have you priced Russelectric? They are top of the line IMO.

2) Should I select a switched neutral or a solid neutral connection in specifying the model? Common sense indicates a switched neutral would be more advantageous, in case there is issues with the utility
Under 1000A and a 480y/277, IMO a 3 pole is fine, but I'm just an installer.

Welcome to the Forum.

dbuckley

Whenver possible I'd always suggest a solid neutral so (a) the neutral is less likley to fail open with all the cost and pain a lost neutral incurs, and (b) to reduce the impedence on the neutral leg.

Sometimes you are required to switch the neutral, but if you dont have to, its one less thing to go wrong.

yired29

I am writing to request a common sense test on specifying a new ASCO 4000 automatic transfer switch for a waste treatment plant.

2) Should I select a switched neutral or a solid neutral connection in specifying the model? Common sense indicates a switched neutral would be more advantageous, in case there is issues with the utility.

Thanks

Keep in mind if you go with a switched grounded conductor then that constitutes a separately derived system and the rules of 250.30 apply.

Controls Guy

Thank You for Feedback

Thank You for Feedback

Feedback and value-added comments are very much appreciated. Looks like half a dozen one way and six another. I will certainly check into the Russel ATS.

Merry Christmas - The Controls Guy

jrannis

Thanks

IMHO, ASCO is overpriced for what they are

Unless its all busbar,
Please set it up so that the utility, generator and load are in the correct location for the feeders to enter without having to cross each other

Solid neutral for sure!! Unless you are designing a separately derived system

dduffee260

We just supplied a Cutler Hamer 800 amp ATS. It was around $6300 if I remember correctly. The ASCO was going to be $9500. There is no way the ASCO was worth that much more. Besides ASCO was almost impossible to contact and deal with.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ASCO is a local company so I'm not sure we've ever used a different product. I agree completely that they're overpriced.

Controls Guy

ASCO Prices

ASCO Prices

Thanks to everyone that commented on my post!

As for pricing, I obtained two comparisons for a service entrance rated, NEMA 12 and 4 pole.

ASCO came in at about $14,000 and Eaton was well north of $15,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.