Neutral lug kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

A 100amp sub-panel was installed coming from a 100amp service panel. #3 was used for the 2 hots and the neutral. A neutral lug kit was installed on the neutral bar of the service panel. This kit was a Homeline HOM70AN. The lug from this kit is the type that does not lay on the bar. It has two prongs that insert into the neutral bar and are secured with two wire binding screws. The #3 inserted easily into the kit and is secured. I believe the "70" within the HOM70AN represents 70 amp capacity, but I am not sure. I know the HOM100AN lays on the bar.

Is this lug within code for this application?

GMc

I agree with John. Since the add on neutral bar is not the main bar, I suspect it doesn't have most of the load of the service.

Dennis, I'm confused.

The lug that hardworker installed in the Main is carrying the load of the sub-panel. I would have to say the calculated load of the sub-panel would have to be less than the 70amp rating of the neutral kit, lug, he installed.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Dennis, I'm confused.

The lug that hardworker installed in the Main is carrying the load of the sub-panel. I would have to say the calculated load of the sub-panel would have to be less than the 70amp rating of the neutral kit, lug, he installed.

I disagree. I would say the calculated load of the neutral would have to be 70A or less. As John said, how many 240V loads are there? They most likely would not be a factor in the neutral load calc.

GMc

I disagree. I would say the calculated load of the neutral would have to be 70A or less. As John said, how many 240V loads are there? They most likely would not be a factor in the neutral load calc.

I see your point being that the neutral wouldn't carry the total current but..

when you buy a sub panel or a main panel, are the neutral lugs rated less than that of the main lugs? I just assumed all the lugs would be of the same rating.

hardworker

There are two 240vt breakers in the sub-panel. The neutral kit does not come with the panels or sub-panels. You have to purchase them separtely.

mark32

Just so I understand this correctly. If one were to feed a sub panel and protect the sub's feeder with a breaker larger than 70a then the lug in question would not be legal if installed in either the main panel or the sub panel, correct?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It has two prongs that insert into the neutral bar and are secured with two wire binding screws.

Maybe the correct lug you're looking for has 3 prongs to get the full 100 amps? I've only used the Siemens lugs and for grounding only so I've never looked at the ampacity rating on them....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.