Anwering Test Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mike Holt's study material and I keep bumping in to test questions that sometimes are correct when answered according to the initial portion of the article paragraph, and other times are correct when answered by an exception to that.
I can't see a way to correctly answer these questions all the time. Will I run into this during an exam? Any help out there?

480sparky

That's part of the purpose of the test..... to see how well you know your way around the Codebook.

Some questions are to see if you know where in the Codebook the answer is. Others will see if you know whether the exception(s) apply or not.

Buck Parrish

That's part of the purpose of the test..... to see how well you know your way around the Codebook.

Some questions are to see if you know where in the Codebook the answer is. Others will see if you know whether the exception(s) apply or not.

Yep, I agree... that's what it's all about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've been using Mike Holt's study material and I keep bumping in to test questions that sometimes are correct when answered according to the initial portion of the article paragraph, and other times are correct when answered by an exception to that.
I can't see a way to correctly answer these questions all the time. Will I run into this during an exam? Any help out there?
Give us a specific question and tell us your problem with it.

wawireguy

Just study hard and go for it. There is no fool proof way to be able to out think the test writers. Sometimes you just have to have a little luck also.

I found a couple of true/false that I think are false and the book says are true.

Q1. Each motor must be provided with an individual controller. T or F
The book says true. I answered false.
The answer is in 430.87. The first sentence says "Each motor must be provided with an individual controller", but there is an exception. Since there's an exception, it is not always true that "Each motor must be provided with an individual controller" . That makes it false.

Q2. Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box. T or F
The answer is in 314.22. The first sentence says "Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box.", but again, there's an exception. The exception makes the statement false.

I also thought I had some that qualified the statement by using the exceptions, but I don't remember which ones they were.

Is this just poor exam writing (sorry Mike) or am I just not thinking about this the way I should be. In using the code book, we use the exceptions, so shouldn't we be using them when we answer the test questions?

480sparky and Buck. I don't think that in these questions, your comments apply. I know where the answers are, and I think I know when the exceptions apply. The problem is whether one just uses the statement with or without the exceptions in answering the questions.
wawireguy. I'm not much of a luck guy. That's why I'm studying so hard. But there really shouldn't be questions that get answered by being lucky.
I'm not trying to be snappy at you guys, so I apologize if I sound that way. I see 480sparky all over this site and another one, and I really respect your knowledge. And the humor too.:)

JFletcher

I found a couple of true/false that I think are false and the book says are true.

Q1. Each motor must be provided with an individual controller. T or F
The answer is in 430.87. The first sentence says "Each motor must be provided with an individual controller", but there is an exception. Since there's an exception, it is not always true that "Each motor must be provided with an individual controller" . That makes it false.

Q2. Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box. T or F
The answer is in 314.22. The first sentence says "Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box.", but again, there's an exception. The exception makes the statement false.

I also thought I had some that qualified the statement by using the exceptions, but I don't remember which ones they were.

Is this just poor exam writing (sorry Mike) or am I just not thinking about this the way I should be. In using the code book, we use the exceptions, so shouldn't we be using them when we answer the test questions?

I think with the two statements you cited the test is looking for the knowledge of the codes rather than the exception(s) to them. Those statements are generally, though not always, true. Or put another way: more true than false.

cadpoint

IMO
You might go back and read the introduction in the book, again. It should explain some of this for you.

For example: sometimes the context or explanation is described differently for clarity and comprehension then as the exact Code reads.

In dealing with The Code verses a test question you will always have to deal with the complete article and where it might lead you.

One has to also remember about test questions is one has to figure out what the questions is and answer the question accordingly. There might be additional bogus information that adds in clouding ones thoughts.

Hope that helps, Good Luck

480sparky

.......Q2. Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box. T or F
The answer is in 314.22. The first sentence says "Surface extensions from a flush mounted box must be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box.", but again, there's an exception. The exception makes the statement false. .......

I don't see how the exception changes the requirement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Question for all. How would you have answered these questions?

I see your dilemna in question 1 & 2. 430.87 clearly states each motor shall have a controller but, as you said, there are exceptions. This answer should be false and probably what I would have answered, but I think people that know how to take tests would answer true since that is the general rule.

Same for question #2

JFletcher

Question for all. How would you have answered these questions?

True for both. While "true" is not a 100% correct answer, imo it is more correct than answering both with false.

Now, had either question contained an absolute, such as "Each motor must always be provided with an individual controller", then I would have answered false, because exceptions exist. With that question, istm that the test would be looking for the knowledge of the exceptions of the code rather than the code itself.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
True for both. While "true" is not a 100% correct answer, imo it is more correct than answering both with false.

I disagree since all motors do not have to have a controller. The exceptions negate the original statement. I always think of these as bad questions because I never know what they are looking for.

If the question had ask "IN general all motors need a controller" I would be then comfortable with "True" as the answer. The reality is I am a bad test taker.

wawireguy

This is where that luck factor comes into play. Do you guess that the test writer just wants you to look at that section. See that it is verbatim to the question and mark true or read the exceptions and choose false? I don't know the answer to the questions either. You really need someone who's taken that test to give you a heads up on it.

You really need someone who's taken that test to give you a heads up on it.

Sure would be nice to get the test writer's (Mike Holt and/or staff) input on this. If these examples are the way the licensing exam writers do them, then I need to know how to answer them. A couple of points might make the difference. I don't want to have to rely on luck.

Ken9876

Have you tried looking for corrections to your book on this site under books? I was going to look, however it's down right now. I used one of Mike's books and found it pretty good with few problems.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I believe they are both valid questions. and i would answer TRUE to both. The basic question is asking "true or False" according to the main portion of that code section:

Does each motor need a disconnect Yes
Do surface extension need to be mounted mechanically.... Yes

do not confuse yourself with the exceptions or different sections. just read the question. alot of people read the question and in their mind they add to that question "... well is teh question asking for the exception or not.... OR ".... well, what if if the mnotor was in another room....."

you know what i mean? just read the question and try to answer it. unless if it asking for a specific locatio, requirement, condition than read the code section in detail and the exceptions. If i may, another point of advice don't answer the questions according to what you have been taught to do or have doing for numbers of years, answer the question according to the NEC.

People answer questions according to their field experience but sometimes it is the wrong answer.

:

do not confuse yourself with the exceptions or different sections. just read the question. alot of people read the question and in their mind they add to that question "... well is teh question asking for the exception or not.... OR ".... well, what if if the mnotor was in another room....."

Except that there are other test questions in Mikes books that DO use the exceptions for the answer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am sorry but I cannot see it as a valid question if so many people can see both as a possible answer. Using strict language the answer would have to be false because all motors do not need controllers simply because of the exception.

To say to ignore the exception is like saying don't read the entire section or paragraph. It is a bad question. A good question has but one answer.

I really don't see how true can be the answer given the wording of the text. I simply cannot ignore exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.