Writing on the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Do you trace the box on the wall before installing a cut in box? Al does, gets under my skin when he miss's.

nakulak

lol I agree, as much as I have come to respect the great talents of Al, its amatuerish. a tiny pencildot will do.

cadpoint

Go to an arts supply store and buy a little white eraser, called a "magic rub"... other than a magic marker, U can keep him quessing... :)

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If Al does it it's right even if he misses, end of story. :mad:

Al, if you're reading this thread and you want to move to the mountains, I have a place for you. :)

Roger

Karl H

I've always traced my boxes with a pencil and a level. Guys that don't
get on my nerves, as they spend too much time guessing the size and fitting
the box. When you use a pencil and a level on the top and bottom
lines, you install the box and it's tight and already within a fraction of level.:)

Karl H

Maybe, I've read this wrong. Are you talking about marking the box
without checking for studs first? Now, that would irritate the heck
out of me.:)

Occupation
Inspector
You mark horizonialy the top line first. Then saw it first. This will let you know if your clear to mark the rest of the way.

I look for the location then I make a small hole about the middle of the box and use my screwdriver to "feel" around to see if I have any obstructions. Then I mark the wall for the cut out.

Occupation
Inspector
I've always traced my boxes with a pencil and a level. Guys that don't
get on my nerves, as they spend too much time guessing the size and fitting
the box. When you use a pencil and a level on the top and bottom
lines, you install the box and it's tight and already within a fraction of level.:)

I have taken my Torpedo(?) level and cut marks the size of the boxes I use. Once I know that I'm clear to cut I use the marks to draw out the box. I have one mark in the Middle and then I have marked for the Length and Width.

480sparky

I look for the location then I make a small hole about the middle of the box and use my screwdriver to "feel" around to see if I have any obstructions. Then I mark the wall for the cut out.

Same here........ spinner gets used as a probe.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I pick a spot and iinsert a thin screwdriver to make sure the area is clear. Of course, the first poke has to be pretty accurate. :):) Then I trace the box with a pencil.

Chenley

I'll run a studfinder across the wall, find the void, level the box, trace it and go to town.

I get on my own nerves since I usually get in a hurry and forget to check the other side of the wall for a receptacle or switchbox. Only hit two of those this year.

quinn77

if i have no studfinder, after tracing lightly with a hard lead pencil, i drill a small hole dead center of "box", then take a piece of solid #14 and bend a hook a tad more than half the width of box. if wire spins freely, im good to go. this really helps in 150+ yr old walls...full of nails, plaster, moisture, etc that will throw even a high end stud finder for a loop.

quinn

kwired

Electron manager
I have a template made out of a scrap of 1/4" plywood that is the correct cutout size it is easier to hold and accurately trace than the box is plus you do not need to estimate how much to adjust your markings from the box ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.