Anyone seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

I was chasing wires in a wall today. Plaster on metal lathe. Drilled hole from under neath unfinished basement into bottom of wall. Reached my finger into the hole and I was feeling something I couldn't tell what it was. Pulled my finger out and it has slices on the end of it. I drilled a bigger hole for investigation. Out came a bunch of razor blades! So I walk back upstairs and opened up the wall to investigate. The BAY WAS FULL 14 1/2" wide, 24" deep, with the old thin razor blades. The medicine cabinet had a factory made "drop hole" for razor blades that merely dumps the blades into the bay below. That was a new one on me.:roll:

JFletcher

Both of our medicine cabinents have those flattish oval holes for razor blades. One appears to still have the factory knockout intact. Home was built in the mid 1950s.

480sparky

Ya better go get tested, make sure you didnt pick up some sort of nasty virus.

~Matt

Yea, he might suddenly develop the urge to do the Jitterbug.
DancingEmoticon.gif

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My dad shaved with those double-edge blades, and our cabinets had the slots.

The blue blades are great for making a "crystal" radio without using a crystal or diode.

S'mise

safety razors

safety razors

No, but thanks for the warning. Ha ha.

Thats a lot of blades. Just think, If your hole was drilled 1/4" wider you might have got a deluge of blades in your face. ;)

cruzJD

Some liked shaving with a safety razor.
srb3.jpg

There are 4 different types of blades you’ll run across but tiring to find pics can be a bit tuff for some one that’s addicted to wet shaving and dose not want to go back to those forums.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

I was chasing wires in a wall today. Plaster on metal lathe. Drilled hole from under neath unfinished basement into bottom of wall. Reached my finger into the hole and I was feeling something I couldn't tell what it was. Pulled my finger out and it has slices on the end of it. I drilled a bigger hole for investigation. Out came a bunch of razor blades! So I walk back upstairs and opened up the wall to investigate. The BAY WAS FULL 14 1/2" wide, 24" deep, with the old thin razor blades. The medicine cabinet had a factory made "drop hole" for razor blades that merely dumps the blades into the bay below. That was a new one on me.:roll:
I have found the old walls filled with sand.. I started cutting a hole for a receptical and ended up with a half a yard of sand in front of me.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I haven't found them with my finger but have had them come out through the hole I was fishing to.

Also was having trouble fishing a wall and found it to be full of beer cans, evidently got there during plaster repairs.

cruzJD

A wall filled with sand? I?ll take a stab at it bit it will be a bit of a stretch. Some times sand is put in between 2 sheets MDF when there building speaker boxes. It?s also been used in the past in recoding studios.

A wall filled with beer cans? Well the price of plastic trash bags coasted more then what they could have recycled them for.

This is getting fun what?s next?

mcclary's electrical

I have found the old walls filled with sand.. I started cutting a hole for a receptical and ended up with a half a yard of sand in front of me.

I made the mistake of opening up a block wall in order to penetrate through it with a 2" conduit. It was filled with a granular fill for insulation. The wall was 16' tall, and our penetration was 6' off the floor, and it emptied it all the way down to that level. That was a disaster.

petey_c

cruzJD, If people are drinking on the job they'll put the empties where they hope no one will find 'em. I found a (empty) half gallon of Smirnoff vodka in between floors of a VA hospital. I've also found scrap lumber and trash in between walls. I guess the less trash you have to remove from a job the better for profits....

quinn77

I was having trouble fishing down a wall. Figured it was fireblocking but once opened up found a book published in late 20's titled "How to wire a house for electric light"...go figure. It was in perfect shape, however the GC demanded I hand it over. Wonder how much he got for it on eBay.

480sparky

I was having trouble fishing down a wall. Figured it was fireblocking but once opened up found a book published in late 20's titled "How to wire a house for electric light"...go figure. It was in perfect shape, however the GC demanded I hand it over. Wonder how much he got for it on eBay.

I would turn it over to the HO, not the GC.

cruzJD

cruzJD, If people are drinking on the job they'll put the empties where they hope no one will find 'em. I found a (empty) half gallon of Smirnoff vodka in between floors of a VA hospital. I've also found scrap lumber and trash in between walls. I guess the less trash you have to remove from a job the better for profits....

I was being a smart asz in my post with the cans. You never know what you?re going to find when your cut open a wall; but have a even better chance of finding something when popping acoustic tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.