LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an interesting article about a fatal car accident caused by ice build-up on a LED traffic light. They said that the LEDs don't produce enough heat like the old lights to keep the ice off.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem for exterior lighting in general in colder/icy climates?

Ragin Cajun

Another problem we have here in the south is the LED's are not living up to the long lifetime claims.

Many of the individual LED's are failing prematurely. Which gives me another reason I have no desire to use LED lights in buildings. They ain't "there" yet!!

RC

Ken9876

Another problem we have here in the south is the LED's are not living up to the long lifetime claims.

RC

The state I work for sure replaces alot of them, many long before expected life is up. The ones we use hold up pretty good. The power supplies for the leds do not like low voltage, as well as other power issues.

ghelec

We take care of about 600 signals in our area and snow build up is a problem, I've heard that they may start installing heated LED's
I thought the reason for using the LED's was power conservation. If they have to install a heater won't that use more power possibly more than regular lights.

dereckbc

Staff member
I thought the reason for using the LED's was power conservation. If they have to install a heater won't that use more power possibly more than regular lights.
Well if there is a thermostat to operate the heater will limit the power usage. With that said I am no fan of LED's especially using them for interior lighting as the CRI is horrible, not as efficient as T5's, no better than CFL, and the spot light effect. Great for flashlights and head lights, but pretty useless for interior lighting except maybe for effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.