Different wiring systems sharing same racewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

Can you mix 120 volt circuit with 4-20 Milliamp signal wiring? I need to run a race way up to water level reading that has 120 volt magnets that give level reading and a 4-20 Milliamp input. I would like to just use one raceway. The 4-20 cable in shielded. From what I was told you don't have noise issues with 4-20 ma signal wiring.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you mix 120 volt circuit with 4-20 Milliamp signal wiring? I need to run a race way up to water level reading that has 120 volt magnets that give level reading and a 4-20 Milliamp input. I would like to just use one raceway. The 4-20 cable in shielded. From what I was told you don't have noise issues with 4-20 ma signal wiring.

Look at 300.3(C)

The way to determine if they are Class 2 or Class 3 is to see what source supplies the conductors. Class 2 or Class 3 are listed and labeled as such. Maybe the designer of the system knows.

Don't forget about the insulation values required if the system supply is not Class 2 or 3.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So, Pierre, do you know what determines if it is class 2 or class 3. Is there something in the design of the tranys or something like that?

raider1

Staff member
So, Pierre, do you know what determines if it is class 2 or class 3. Is there something in the design of the tranys or something like that?

Dennis,

Take a look at Chapter 9 Table 11(A) and 11(B) to see the difference in power limitations for Class 2 and Class 3 power supplys.

Chris

raider1

Staff member

My guess would be that the 4-20 Milliamp input would be either a Class 2 or 3 circuit and not permitted to be installed in the same raceway with a 120 volt circuit.

You may want to look at 725.130(A) Exception #2.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.