double tap main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

Customer has a 200a meter base, feeds a 225a main breaker enclosure, that feeds a panel for the house. I need to feed a sub panel for an new attached garage that will be located next to the Main breaker enclosure.

My options are:

Install 350 amp double lug meter and set a 125a panel for the garage.
or
Install a 100 amp breaker in existing house panel and feed it to the garage sub panel.

My question in an effort to think of all my options is:
Is their a way to replace the load lugs on the main breaker enclosure with double tap lugs and feed the new garage panel. I would have to size the wire to the sub panel to support 225 regaurdless of the subpanel main breaker size. Or mabey I can replace the main breaker enclosure with a feed thru panel with a couple spaces then install a 100a breaker with a locking strap on it to feed the new garage panel.
If their a way to get double tap lugs for the main breaker enclosure that would be the easiest.

What do you think?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My first concern would be the load calculation.
If you do determine the existing service is adequate for the added load, I would look at the existing 225 amp breaker lugs and see if they will accept two conductors. By applying the tap rules in 240.21, you might be able to add your tap conductors for the garage on the existing breaker.

Customer has a 200a meter base, feeds a 225a main breaker enclosure, that feeds a panel for the house. I need to feed a sub panel for an new attached garage that will be located next to the Main breaker enclosure.

My options are:

Install 350 amp double lug meter and set a 125a panel for the garage.
or
Install a 100 amp breaker in existing house panel and feed it to the garage sub panel.

What do you think?

Keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.