Above the cabinet lighting, too bright

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Last year I installed 2 (End to end) 4' t5's above the cabinets in my parent's kitchen. I did this to compliment the t5's I put under the cabinets (8" and 14" I believe) and the rest of the recessed lighting. Anyway, the four footers throw a little too much light, I then considered t4's but I see that the lumens are the same as the t5's. Now I'm unsure as to what to do, I need less light output and I don't want to use cheesy rope lights, any suggestions?

Cavie

Last year I installed 2 (End to end) 4' t5's above the cabinets in my parent's kitchen. I did this to compliment the t5's I put under the cabinets (8" and 14" I believe) and the rest of the recessed lighting. Anyway, the four footers throw a little too much light, I then considered t4's but I see that the lumens are the same as the t5's. Now I'm unsure as to what to do, I need less light output and I don't want to use cheesy rope lights, any suggestions?

If they are on top of the cab's and you cant see them, lay some frosted plastic panels on top.

480sparky

Go to a theatrical supply company and ask to see their gel swatches.

They're like paint samples, but they're made of heat-resistant 2'x3' plastic and come in all sorts of colors, including various shades of gey. Cheap, and cuts with ordinary scissors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If they are 2 bulb fixtures then I would remove one bulb ( my bet is that's not the case). I would then try some warm white bulbs or paint them black-:grin:

mark32

Good evening and thank you for the ideas.

nakulak, my first thought was swapping in dimmable ballasts and the appropriate dimmer but for some reason I didn't research it but I will now.

Cavie & 480, I did not think of covers of any type but I will look into those as well.

Dennis, you are of course correct, these are single bulb fixtures. The fixtures came with a cool white bulb and I did order warm whites to install but I have a feeling it's still going to be too much light.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mark, I'll bet smaller fixtures would be cheaper than dimming the ones you have.

If it's not visible from the floor, go with the cheesy. Nobody'll know but the mice.

mark32

charlietuna, really, you mean that wide clear packing tape? That's worth a shot, thanks.

macmikeman, I have two contractor friends, one uses rope lighting on occasion, the other wouldn't think of it. To me they scream DIY'er but I'm open minded, although I fear they may not put out enough light. Aren't they rather dim, like a linear night light?

LarryFine, holy cow, I just checked on dimmable t5 ballasts, they are ridiculously expensive, why? I didn't check on the dimmer yet.

ps macmikeman, I just had my honeymoon mid October in Honolulu, it was very nice. We stayed at the Kahala, have you heard of it?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To me they scream DIY'er but I'm open minded, although I fear they may not put out enough light. Aren't they rather dim, like a linear night light?

I use them but I do it myself. :grin: They make a track for them so they can lay neatly up there and they can be double or tripled, etc. Ambience only-- don't expect to get functionality out of rope lights.

charlietuna

We finished a full floor tenant space for a large law firm. The Spec was cool white T-8 Lamps and they had plenty of cove lighting throughout the office. The owners were not happy with the looks of the space and they were having a "GRAND OPENING" party and asked if there was "anything " we could do to tone down the lighting? We came up with the packing tape idea and installed it in one area -- They Loved It !! They had us install it in all the coves--and ended up leaving it there. The building's maintainance engineers didn't like it ! But it worked. To me it gave it a "dim warm white" appearance.

i'm talking about the standard wrapping tape used in mailing packages --thin stuff you can never find the end of !!!:D

RETRAINDAILY

They make 4watt 8watt 14watt 21watt lamps you have to see what lamps you're ballast is rated for! Ive seen the tombstones melt from mismatched lamp and ballast
if the ballast will not do a lower wattage lamp lower your K value to like a 3000k it will soften the whiteness

Article 90.1

Go to a theatrical supply company and ask to see their gel swatches.

They're like paint samples, but they're made of heat-resistant 2'x3' plastic and come in all sorts of colors, including various shades of gey. Cheap, and cuts with ordinary scissors.
My thoughts exactly! You will want to ask for "Neutral Density Gells" The photo/video world measures there lighting in stops, and therefore, you will order a 1/4, 1/2 full, 2 stop, etc. gel. A good grip company will have rolls available for you as well as sheets of varying sizes. There are two types of gells, the type that can be used with "hot" lights, and standard gells. The ND gells should not alter the color temperature of the lamp in theory, although, it is hard to believe when you are looking at the grey material. Hey why not get some 1/2 CTO gells and warm the lighting up a bit? (just kidding). The packing tape is going to be the least expensive option IMHO.

480sparky

My thoughts exactly! You will want to ask for "Neutral Density Gells" ......

I finally located my gel swatch image.

GELSwatch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.