800amp panel install

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion "or by other effective means" leaves the door open to any color and any method acceptable to the AHJ.:)
wizard-of-oz.jpg

"The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken!"

dmagyar

Splicing on left side loads

Splicing on left side loads

I'm curious; it seems like there are in-line splices on the vertical portion of the left side panel loads. I've always tried to pull the load wires long enough to at least reach the bottom of the panel. Nice clean install otherwise though.

ty

In my opinion

leaves the door open to any color and any method acceptable to the AHJ.:)

Larry, by applying "Charlie's Rule" I have to agree with Bob and Don, Rob and others.

The current wording in 110.15 is "....durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or by other effective means."

IF it said, "...durably and permanently marked by an outer finish, or by other effective means, that is orange in color..." THEN I would agree with you. But this second option is not how it is worded.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I understand. I just take it as meaning an effective means other than an outer finish. Of course, you understand that.

Okay, so what other effective means do you use, or consider compliant and, well, effective?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

All rise for the Great and Powerful Oz!​

groupwave2.gif

Oz says absolutely any method that is acceptable to the AHJ.
Well, let's suppose I was running a 3ph circuit for a deep fryer from a high-leg service (which I am) and was using MC (which I also am). Would anyone object to me coloring the whire wire with an orange Sharpie? ;)

It's just that it's never dawned on me to use anything but orange insulation or other effective means :)D) of using orange to denote the high leg, nor to ask an inspector what he considers a compliant method.

I'm kinda s'posed to know, y'know? :)

danickstr

RE the supply jumper: if the wire is AL, then maybe the CU bonding jumper is 12.5 % of the Cu equivalent. It does not have to be sized to the AL, but the CU.

rpjaj5

I'm curious; it seems like there are in-line splices on the vertical portion of the left side panel loads. I've always tried to pull the load wires long enough to at least reach the bottom of the panel. Nice clean install otherwise though.

I did not like the splices either but the supply house shorted us on our cuts. We did not want to pull out and pull back in because the runs are any where from 200' to 500', so this was to us the best fix and also a supply house butt chewing.
Thanks

dmagyar

Send picture to supply house so they can frame it

Send picture to supply house so they can frame it

I did not like the splices either but the supply house shorted us on our cuts. We did not want to pull out and pull back in because the runs are any where from 200' to 500', so this was to us the best fix and also a supply house butt chewing.
Thanks

Thanks for the response, I'd send the picture to the supply house and insist that they put it up on the board/wall so they don't repeat their mistake. Did they at least pay for your labor to install and tape the splicing sleeves?

rpjaj5

Thanks for the response, I'd send the picture to the supply house and insist that they put it up on the board/wall so they don't repeat their mistake. Did they at least pay for your labor to install and tape the splicing sleeves?
No, not outright but did reimburse the amount with discount on next purchase which is kind of a joke.

RICK NAPIER

rpjaj5 I hope this review was not to intense as you see your dealing with a highly qualified group and as you can see by some of the more interesting looking posts way to much time on thier hands. It keeps me on my toes seeing the detail this group can extract from a simple picture or question. I look hard at my inspections imagining one of these guys following up and judging the work I have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.