Rolling black outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Curious as to how they do this. We had one this morning and while everything seemed to be of the trafic light wasnt. Is this part of the new digital meters or just battery backups.
Was 25 this morning and am sure the loads were heavy

zog

Curious as to how they do this. We had one this morning and while everything seemed to be of the trafic light wasnt. Is this part of the new digital meters or just battery backups.
Was 25 this morning and am sure the loads were heavy

Never heard of a planned rolling blackout in the winter before, sure it was not just a downed line?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Ours here have battery back up and so does our cable, though I don't know why.

Many traffic signals will simply go to a default of flashing red.

Jim W in Tampa

Never heard of a planned rolling blackout in the winter before, sure it was not just a downed line?

It is there way of backing off the loads. Off for about 30 minutes then back on 20 then off again. Not often done but we had a very cold night. Last Saturday i used 275kw from 12 noon till 3 am , Yea OUCH but was having huge party we didn't want to be cold. 3600 sq feet takes a lot of heat.

I just was wondering how they could keep traffic lights going. Must be battery backup and perhaps the new LED.

mivey

A rolling blackout would effect the lights as they are on the same distribution line as everyone else. Must be a battery. Ours usually go into flash mode when on battery.

mivey

It is there way of backing off the loads.
Usually, all customers on load-managed/interruptible rates are called first. Then there are voluntary load reductions. Then the reductions are involuntary by remote switching of feeder breakers, substations, or even entire transmission line circuits.

These procedures are planned well in advance, but everything rarely goes just like the plan.

Jim W in Tampa

A rolling blackout would effect the lights as they are on the same distribution line as everyone else. Must be a battery. Ours usually go into flash mode when on battery.

That was my way of thinking. I would not think they would just kill one phase as too many 3 phase loads that would cause serious problems. This was 6:30 in the morning and 25 degrees. Not something we see often in Tampa. Lot of crop damage.

Jim W in Tampa

So you have a 1200 amp 120/240 service? :grin:

Nope ,just a 200 amp 120/240 keep in mind it was 15 hours. Still computes to about $41
and at one point i triped the main breaker. I rather dought i pulled more than 100 amps at any point. Breaker was hot and likely the aluumium 4/0 need tightened. Will be calling poco for permission to pull my meter and tightened them up. Service is very old and in 11 years i have never triped it before.

Jim W in Tampa

Were you outside in the freeze reading your meter at 3 am? 275 kwh at 0.10 cts = $27. Is your rate higher that that?
About 15 cents here. They trying to get back the money from all the hurricanes. I need to keep record of usage for the parties. No big deal had to take trash out anyways and we have digitals so takes like 5 seconds to take a peak

Ken9876

Sometimes the conflict monitor will not reset after a power outage depending on the settings. The conflict monitor checks for correct logic and signal voltage as well as confilcting signals. Sometimes ours will just not start back up after a outage.

mivey

About 15 cents here. They trying to get back the money from all the hurricanes...
More likely paying for the sin of relying heavily on natural gas generation and imported power rather than building nuclear plants. Not sure what RR costs would do to a coal plant in FL but it would have be better than NG.

In addition to nuclear plants, y'all need some NG pipelines across the gulf so you can build some nice, efficient combined cycle plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.