NM in conduit outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

So I guess you guys all inspect strictly by the book? No wiggle room for situations or conditions that arise?

I think each of us must choose which areas we are willing to wiggle in. There are several times I call it 'good enough' because I don't want the electrician to have to travel back to the job for a minor infraction. That said, I personally don't allow NM to be installed outdoors in wet locations.

jimman

In North Carolina, an inspector is personally liable for up to $40,000.00 if found negligent. To a Judge, it is either meets code or does not meet code. Most likely, you will not be in that position, but, you just never know. Make your decision, and be prepared to answer if it ever comes to it. Something to think about, the homeowner may not have a gripe with you, but I know a lot who have had problems with the GC. Cover your own butt, cause others will hang you out to dry in a second.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
An old fuse panel , threadbare or cracked SEU cable, grounding adpaters plugged into 2-prong outlets, rusty or water damaged equipment, and so forth. Those are real hazards. What is pictured is not.

Problem is those are maintenance issues and not code issues. What is pictured is what the inspector is there to look at. Because the conductors are not installed per their listing they stand a chance of becoming threadbare and cracked, that's why THW or equal is required.

I'm not there inspecting for hazards, per say, I'm there to look for code violations so that they don't become hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.