lifetime guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

The following project details / notes have been directly submitted by the homeowner:

Need free estimate to rewire entire 1400+ sq ft residential home in Burbank. 4bdrm, 1.75bth. I recieved a couple of quotes but still looking for the best/reasonable price. No more than $5000. approximate bids have been in that price range. Only serious call backs please. Need to be licensed/insured with lifetime guarantee. If price is right, can set up project within couple of weeks.

I was wondering if it was his lifetime or mine:D

Ohmy

Nothing wrong with a lifetime guarantee for workmanship. Think about it. If one of your connections where to fail after 10 years because you did not install it correctly, you would probably fix it for free anyways. Plus, its pretty cool if a customer is still calling you after 10 years.

Lifetime warranty on parts is another issue entirely but can be done.

Lifetime warranty on everything no matter what and why is just crazy.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me, it means the lifetime of the company, the business entity.

Norm, is this a job you're considering, or just posted it for fun?

normbac

To me, it means the lifetime of the company, the business entity.

Norm, is this a job you're considering, or just posted it for fun?
Just for fun people that shop to beat a price of 5000 are going to be difficult to make a profit on

ceb58

The following project details / notes have been directly submitted by the homeowner:

Need free estimate to rewire entire 1400+ sq ft residential home in Burbank. 4bdrm, 1.75bth. I recieved a couple of quotes but still looking for the best/reasonable price. No more than $5000. approximate bids have been in that price range. Only serious call backs please. Need to be licensed/insured with lifetime guarantee. If price is right, can set up project within couple of weeks.

Looks like a Craig's list ad by someone trying to find a idiot.

growler

Most of the contractors that will bid that job at $5000 won't be around in a couple of years so the lifetime warranty will probably end up being the lifetime of the company.

Most people don't understand that a warranty is only as good as the company behind it.

brian john

With the stipulation that no other Electrical Contractor can perform any work in this residence and the warranty is not transferable and on labor only NO PARTS.

satcom

I wonder who would be whacky enough to even bid on a job like that.

If he hangs in there and keeps looking, he will most likely find that whackey person.

The guy who is always looking for that great price on everything, is usually the same type of person that falls for investments offering higher that market rates, they end up loosing everything in the big picture.

mivey

Look here. I gots no problem gettin yous dat life-time warranty you was after. I gots lots of guys to handle dat sorta thing. Capish?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Lifetime warranties are for the lifetime of the equipment...when the equipment fails, the life is over as is the warranty:grin::grin:

acwservices

Need to be licensed/insured with lifetime guarantee. If price is right, can set up project within couple of weeks.

I think the point was missed on what the HO wanted the lifetime guarantee on. It appears to me that he wants the EC's GL insurance to cover the rewire for the life of the property, not an actual guarantee on the work or material. You know- the house fire 5 years from now when the fire marshal blames it on electrical. This is an insurance topic that has been discussed at other places- does GL insurance only cover the work during the timeframe it is active, or does it cover all work done while the GL insurance was in force, even if it is now canceled?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting the HO's requirement at all, just pointing out that I think his "guarantee" is in reference to insurance.

Ohmy

Yeah, what happens to your "lifetime warranty" when the guy gets hit by a bus, breaks his leg playing softball, moves to FL, goes up of business, gets a job a HD, gets arrested, losses his cellphone #, goes bankrupt, wins the lottery, gets hired on to a real company.

I have heard everyone of the above except the winning the lottery....but it could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.