Heat Detector over Dryers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

DON'T FEAR THE DRYER! I run it when I'm sleeping or not at home. If it lights up, it lights up. That's what smoke alarms are for. I see no need to add a additional heat/smoke detector above a laundry space. Our current level of smoke detector coverage seems adequate to me. I think maintaining operating smoke alarms in your residence is much more important than adding more detector requirements.

Amen brother!!!

Let's put speculation aside and deal with undisputed numbers.

There are approximately 116,000,000 households in america. Average one dryer per household. I realize that not everyone has a dryer but, I think it would be fair to state there are at least 100,000,000 dryers in operation nationwide. There are 15,000 dryer fires a year. I will even assume that they will all non-preventable, even lint removal won't matter( even though that iS the cause in the most of them.)

This means that .0015% of all homes have dryer fires. You are willing to entertain a code change for That fraction of the households? It is not justification. Besides the data they collect regarding dryer fires includes those that originated due to dryer malfunction as well. So again, following that logic, we should put heats and smokes in every closet becuase fires start in there too!!

The other point being missed is that the more round off white things on the ceiling that have problems ( low batteries, dusty, end of service). The more we desensitize the general public, the less serious they take the upkeep of such devices.

Electricmanscott, this is not a job protection thing, I'm not sure how you came up with that.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This would be an expensive requirement. A heat detector requires a fire alarm panel, not the typical interconnected smoke detectors. And your proposal in any event would not go the NEC CMP, but the NFPA 72 CMP or perhaps the bulding code. The NEC does not require smoke detectors, but if they installed then the NEC governs that wiring or that of the alarm system, but not where the devices are installed.

nhfire77

This would be an expensive requirement. A heat detector requires a fire alarm panel, not the typical interconnected smoke detectors. And your proposal in any event would not go the NEC CMP, but the NFPA 72 CMP or perhaps the bulding code. The NEC does not require smoke detectors, but if they installed then the NEC governs that wiring or that of the alarm system, but not where the devices are installed.

Tom- I agree with you. I am almost certain the OP is referring to a product that interconnects with live voltage smokes, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-HD135F-Fyrnetics-Hardwire-Detector/dp/B000P4YY8K

Correct me if I am wrong.

RICK NAPIER

My complaint against dryers is the IMC requirement that dryer lengths are limited to 25 feet minus 5 feet for each 90 degree bend or the manufacturors requirements which ever allows more. But there is no requirement for signage so if you install a dryer that allows a 50 foot run (and I know of a case where the dryers were rated for 85') and replace it with one that cannot work with that long of a vent the home owner risks his home without knowing it.

mcclary's electrical

Any house we wire, I always quote a security system if needed. In my quotes, I always add a heat detector over dryer and over vehicles in garage. Lots of people, if they're really penny pinchers, will "trim the fat" on a security quote, so I usually list these items as "optional". I wold really like it if there was no option.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I remember correctly a heat detector is not a life safety device so why would should one be required for anything?

raider1

Staff member
My complaint against dryers is the IMC requirement that dryer lengths are limited to 25 feet minus 5 feet for each 90 degree bend or the manufacturors requirements which ever allows more. But there is no requirement for signage so if you install a dryer that allows a 50 foot run (and I know of a case where the dryers were rated for 85') and replace it with one that cannot work with that long of a vent the home owner risks his home without knowing it.

I agree with this 100%.

Chris

nhfire77

If I remember correctly a heat detector is not a life safety device so why would should one be required for anything?

YES!!! They are NOT a life safety device.

Firex states:

WARNING! Heat alarms are not life safety devices and are not designed todetect smoke or fire.

Not even FIRE!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

YES!!! They are NOT a life safety device.

Firex states:

WARNING! Heat alarms are not life safety devices and are not designed todetect smoke or fire.

Not even FIRE!!!

There's a reason why they have this designation therefore IMO there is no reason to ever require them.

I to am a voly ff and electrician, I use smoke detectors any where possible allowed by code, and when I can't I use a heat. To my knowledge and thats not much, there is not a code saying you can't put a smoke in a laundry room in a residence. Smoke detectors in residences have to be 3' from a kitchen door way (VT), not sure about the bathroom (steam) but I also use the 3' rule for that.

I have been to to many college dorms after kids take hot showers for 15-20 min. and then open door to leave bathroom and steam rolls out into hallway and sets off the smoke detector(s). 3' is a minimum with me as long as I get coverage.

nhfire77

I to am a voly ff and electrician, I use smoke detectors any where possible allowed by code, and when I can't I use a heat. To my knowledge and thats not much, there is not a code saying you can't put a smoke in a laundry room in a residence. Smoke detectors in residences have to be 3' from a kitchen door way (VT), not sure about the bathroom (steam) but I also use the 3' rule for that.

I have been to to many college dorms after kids take hot showers for 15-20 min. and then open door to leave bathroom and steam rolls out into hallway and sets off the smoke detector(s). 3' is a minimum with me as long as I get coverage.

No there is not!!!

But...

There is 110.3(B):

Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

The instructions for the UL listed Firex heat tell you not to put the heat within 10 feet of a washer (or areas of high humidity like a shower). Most dryers are sitting next to or on top of the washer.

mivey

Interesting link. The installation manual for that heat states not to put it within 10 feet of area of high humidity, including washing machines. So you cannot put one near a dryer that is adjcent or stacked on top of a washer.
I had a dehumidifier manufacturer tell me the dehumidifier circuit board failed because it was in high humidity area (70% RH). :-? They sent me a warranty replacement unit after grumbling about it for a bit and having me talk to the tech dept. I never could get them to explain the logic of using a dehumidifier in a non-humid environment.

Anyway, I would not think the humidity in a laundry room would be extremely high unless it was separated from the rest of the house. I could see steam from a shower or stove or dishwasher. I have no data, just a thought.

I think I might put one of my meters in my laundry room to see what peak RH readings I get. What RH level is acceptable for the heats?

ivsenroute

The building code profession has recognized the increased incidents of fires caused by dryers and has tightened the installation requirements on the building and mechanical end for the 2009 I-Codes. The changes should not affect electrical installers.

Teaspoon

There are more brain dead people walking around than ever before.

I know this just by watching them drive cars.

Stupid people kill innocent people all the time.. a heat detector over a dryer is a really good idea.

This is agood point. I agree with a heat detector over a dryer.
I know that there is no idiot proofing everything.
But every step we can take toward safety is a good step.

nhfire77

This is agood point. I agree with a heat detector over a dryer.
I know that there is no idiot proofing everything.
But every step we can take toward safety is a good step.

You must draw a line. We cannot add every good idea to enhance safety. We must be reasonable and just. Adding a heat by the dryer is not reasonable. There is not enough evidence to justify it.

I agree there are dryer fires, property damage occurs and there is injuries and death. Using your rationale, taking just one more step for safety, is a dangerous slippery slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.