Sq. D QO Service Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
by sawing (or some way cutting) the left neutral bar loose from the factory tie bar they have already altered the listed panel in such a way that nothing you do short of a replacement would allow the job to pass inspection here.

The question to ask the OP now: Does the meter box have an integral disconnect (meter/main)? Or is it configured they way you suggested with both the ground and neutral wires stuffed into the same lug?

I made the silly mistake of asking the HO if there was another main panel or meter disconnect at his residence and he, of course answered "No, not that I'm aware" This house is built on the side of a mountain, and the utilities come in underground. Attached is a picture of the meter 200A disconnect located on the outside of the residence. Although this doesn't make repairing the main panel any easier, it does answer some questions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehs1962/4285287044/

Ed

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
So everything is bonded at the service disconnect.

Looks to me like all you need to do is take all the ground wires in the circuit panel and bond them to the cabinet via installing a new ground bar and a ground lug if still necessary..

Am I missing something?

So everything is bonded at the service disconnect.

Looks to me like all you need to do is take all the ground wires in the circuit panel and bond them to the cabinet via installing a new ground bar and a ground lug if still necessary..

Am I missing something?

I think basically that's it, except for the double and triple tapped neutrals on the neutral bar in the right hand side of the panel. I think what it needs is a ground bar kit installed for the grounds and then the "floating" neutral bar needs to be screwed back down to the neutral bus and possibly the second neutral bar added to the left side, then all of those neutrals relocated such that there is only one neutral per terminal. Thoughts?

Ed

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... there should have been an exterior disconnect installed.
Aha! One of my conclusions was correct.

I agree, Ed. The panel's neutral bars should be returned to original condition, and grounding bars added to the enclosure, one of which can have a feeder EGC terminal.

fishin' electrician

4285287044_2b1fe850c6.jpg

Got to love the 2 conductors under 1 lug, and 1 conductor under 2 lugs. That's just priceless.:roll:

Got to love the 2 conductors under 1 lug, and 1 conductor under 2 lugs. That's just priceless.:roll:

It looks like the original EC added the lugs for both the panel and the disconnect to terminate the EGC. I'm not sure why he would not have added lugs properly sized unless he just happened to have these in his truck at the time.

Just out of curiosity, is there a code requirement for the 3/C insluated with bare gnd going from the outdoor disconnect to the main service panel? It would seem they could have continued with the 2 insulated conductors and the bare ungrounded conductor to the main service panel?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just out of curiosity, is there a code requirement for the 3/C insluated with bare gnd going from the outdoor disconnect to the main service panel? It would seem they could have continued with the 2 insulated conductors and the bare ungrounded conductor to the main service panel?
Yes, there is, and no, they coiuldn't. Everything past the main disconnect must be wired with separate neutral and EGC, whether the main is first, as in this example, or within the breaker panel itself.

In other words, if you understand the requirement as it applies to branch circuits, or better yet, to sub-panels, having a separate main disconnect like this one renders the breaker panel a sub-panel.

Last edited:
Yes, there is, and no, they coiuldn't. Everything past the main disconnect must be wired with separate neutral and EGC, whether the main is first, as in this example, or within the breaker panel itself.

In other words, if you understand the requirement as it applies to branch circuits, or better yet, to sub-panels, having a separate main disconnect like this one renders the breaker panel a sub-panel.

Thanks, that was a perfect explanation to a pretty dumb question....I also noticed that I typed "ungrounded conductor" when I meant "grounded conductor" which I assume you realized from your answer.

There are a couple bare grounds tied to the neutral bus that also have to be moved to bring this panel into code compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.