Pass or Fail Real Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohr46

Sixteen pages of comments on whether not securing NM should be cited by the inspector?

If we have to argue about whether simple and cheap stuff in the code should be enforced, we are in trouble. And its not as if there is any question that the code requires it.

If I were an inspector and saw something like this, I would look a lot closer at everything, wondering if the guy that did this work was too lazy to pound a couple staples in, what else did he do?

a better question might be "what else didn't he do"?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is one reason people avoid inspections?

The primary reason not to get work inspected has to do with the normal reason for an inspection is because it is required as part of the permitting process, which is more often then not, mostly about raising people's property taxes.

Just like traffic enforcement is primarily about revenue. Cops, on the whole, are expected to write as many citations as it takes to generate the amount of revenue desired. The cops are not being told to write everyone they see violating the traffic laws. they are being told to write as many citations as it takes to meet the revenue requirements.

Inspectors, OTOH, are expected to inspect every job and report anything that is not to code. Now, maybe once in a while you don't "see" a violation for whatever reason, but something this blatant is hard to miss.

peter d

Being an old country hack, this applies to boot-legged farms as well. I am really not jerking this around. The 7' AFF is really applied on the West Coast and for many reasons.

So is there an actual ammendment to the NEC in your jurisdiction where you can apply the "7' rule" to NM cable installations, or are you just using a completely out of context code rule to justify it?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
have you reread the code section in question ? it specifies securing and supporting. what section are you reading that says it's ok not to secure the cables the correct distances specified from the enclosure ?

I'm saying that it is secured within the 12", in fact it is secured within 1". It is secured just outside the panel either by a snap in connector, or 2 screws, or any kind of connector that isn't simply a bushing or a chase nipple.

mivey

I'm saying that it is secured within the 12", in fact it is secured within 1". It is secured just outside the panel either by a snap in connector, or 2 screws, or any kind of connector that isn't simply a bushing or a chase nipple.
I saw where you said this earlier as well.

Maybe you need another fitting to secure it within 12" of the fitting?

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (41⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.

gndrod

So is there an actual ammendment to the NEC in your jurisdiction where you can apply the "7' rule" to NM cable installations, or are you just using a completely out of context code rule to justify it?

You are one pom pas agitator who gets punched in the nose and just doesn't have the brains to know when to walk away. You forgot to read and quote the rest of the above post. GIve yourself a break. This is a learning forum that other young electricians can benefit from, so give them a break also. rbj

dduffee260

Sheesh I go away for a weekend and look at what I came back to. I say we have a nationwide Meet And Greet and post this topic up in a meeting hall for discussion. Anyone who wants, put on the gloves and duke it out !!!!...I say don't pass this inspection. Let the electrician know what he did wrong and what it should look like per code. And remind him he is charging for this work. Give the customer something for their money.

gndrod

Sheesh I go away for a weekend and look at what I came back to. I say we have a nationwide Meet And Greet and post this topic up in a meeting hall for discussion. Anyone who wants, put on the gloves and duke it out !!!!...I say don't pass this inspection. Let the electrician know what he did wrong and what it should look like per code. And remind him he is charging for this work. Give the customer something for their money.

Well said dduffee260. rbj

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I saw where you said this earlier as well.

Maybe you need another fitting to secure it within 12" of the fitting?

Yeah, I guess I see what you mean in that wording. Still seems kind of silly. Especially since there are cases (single gang plastic boxes) where you don't even need a fitting, just the staple.

electricmanscott

You are one pom pas agitator who gets punched in the nose and just doesn't have the brains to know when to walk away. You forgot to read and quote the rest of the above post. GIve yourself a break. This is a learning forum that other young electricians can benefit from, so give them a break also. rbj

Thats pretty nasty for somebody who failed to prove their point. :roll:

iwire

Staff member

Lets keep it civil.

peter d

It was a legitimate question - do you have an ammendment that allows you to enforce a 7' rule for NM cable? Or it is simply a misapplication of the rules that you think you've been enforcing correctly?

As this is an NEC forum we don't want to confuse these young electricians you are referring to with made up rules or out of context rules.

ty

OK. Here is pics of the panel that I posted on page 7. Installed by 2nd year apprentice.
Have at it.
Before and after pics.
IMG00838.jpg

IMG00845.jpg

peter d

OK. Here is pics of the panel that I posted on page 7. Installed by 2nd year apprentice.
Have at it.
Before and after pics.

I have no problem with any of it, but no doubt someone will say that the 12/2 NM going to the GFCI receptacle is unprotected. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.