NM and soffit fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Like Iwire Bob says, "Act civil". rbj

Can you point out where I have been uncivil? I never once called anyone a name or attacked someone personally. I expressed an opinion about these boring picture threads and I stand by it.

What kind of job are you working on these days?

Mostly residential. If I'm fortunate I'll get to do a commercial job, but those are pretty rare for me.

I do think though that for some of us that actually work in the field everyday these pictures are just shoulder shrug so what material.

That's what I have been saying all along. Does anyone, even an apprentice, not understand that a taped up flying splice is a code violation? Or a receptacle without a cover plate? Or a floodlight without a box? Or NM cable strung across a basement like a clothesline?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy looking at electrical pictures just as much as everyone else here does. But the regular posting of pictures of every day DIY violations is getting tedious.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not all areas of the country have licensing programs. Not all areas of the country have training programs for journeymen, apprentices, etc. Not all areas of the country have codes adopted and not all areas of the country have inspections performed.
So what are you doing in your state to change that? Are you actively talking to your lawmakers to change the licensing rules?

Just about every time I post a photo someone makes the comment that "someone other than an electrician ............must have done that", but that is not the case. Most of these are from jobs performed by professional electricians with insurance. Some have been in business for longer than I have been alive (44).
By your own admission they are not electricians, you have already said there is no licensing laws so anybody that has turned on a switch at sometime in their life can go into business as an EC, IOW's what you view as electricians are far from it.

What may be trivial and boring to you may not be to someone else and you are always entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Do you think that I enjoy seeing and inspecting this crap every day? I started wiring houses and doing remodeling at a very young age, went into the Marine Corps and worked on electrical systems of aircraft then was heavily involved in industrial electrical work and motor controls, PLC's and more. It sickens me that basic, very basic kindergarten items such as this post still happens every single day.
And none of that will change until you have better licensing laws, you are simply inspecting DIYers that are being paid, in these pictures you are not inspecting eletricians.

I have inspected the work of DIY homewners that did a better job then an electrician's job that I just came from.
Just a better class of DIYer.
This is the exception, not the rule. I have a long list of competent, compliant ECs and just as long of a list of the not so competent.
And the competent ones should also be involved in getting licensing in the state

You may not be learning from this but someone else is.
Probably, but I agree with some of the others that your pictures are better suited for a DIY forum.

Roger

ivsenroute

So what are you doing in your state to change that? Are you actively talking to your lawmakers to change the licensing rules?

I did and it was shot down by the legislators. Now I am an inspector so it is up the the electricians to do something about it.

By your own admission they are not electricians, you have already said there is no licensing laws so anybody that has turned on a switch at sometime in their life can go into business as an EC, IOW's what you view as electricians are far from it.

Most of the photos are of work done by electricians. Just because we have no state licensing does not mean that they are not professional electricians. They pay insurance as an electrician and sign legal binding contracts to perform electrical work for a fee. Is your opinion that every electrician on this board that is not state licensed is not really an electrician?

And none of that will change until you have better licensing laws, you are simply inspecting DIYers that are being paid, in these pictures you are not inspecting eletricians
I think you just answered the question above. All of the guys doing work in states that don't have a licensing law are not even electricians in your eyes. Very elitist.

Just a better class of DIYer. And the competent ones should also be involved in getting licensing in the state
They did, we have already tried that route more than once. Shame you look down on them because they don't live in a state that does. I suppose all of the guys in states with no licensing are lesser of an electrician than you?

Probably, but I agree with some of the others that your pictures are better suited for a DIY forum.

Thank you for your opinion. One of many.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I did and it was shot down by the legislators. Now I am an inspector so it is up the the electricians to do something about it.
So, if at first you don't succeed you quit trying?

Most of the photos are of work done by electricians.
You use the term loosely
Just because we have no state licensing does not mean that they are not professional electricians.
No the work you are showing in your pictures show they aren't electricians
They pay insurance as an electrician and sign legal binding contracts to perform electrical work for a fee.
And in your eyes that is makes an electrician?
Is your opinion that every electrician on this board that is not state licensed is not really an electrician?
Not at all, never said or implied it, you are the one that has brought it up more than once in recent threads.

I think you just answered the question above. All of the guys doing work in states that don't have a licensing law are not even electricians in your eyes. Very elitist.
Nope, as you said above, there are some very competent electricians with out licenses.

They did, we have already tried that route more than once.
See my first question in this post.

Shame you look down on them because they don't live in a state that does.
No shame on you, what you quoted was not what I said, you took two different replies and combined them to twist them into something you wanted it to say, if you are going to quote, do it with out deception.

Now in regards to the competent electricians, I don't look down on them at all, I would think they would want to make it harder to have the DIYers compete against them, hence me saying "And the competent ones should also be involved in getting licensing in the state "

I suppose all of the guys in states with no licensing are lesser of an electrician than you?
You seem to keep forgetting that you are the one that has been bringing this up, I am just expanding on it by asking you questions about what you and the competent EC's are trying to do to change that.

Thank you for your opinion. One of many.
You're welcome but let me reiterate that I think the pictures belong in a DIY forum, didn't want that to get lost. :D

Roger

mivey

I'll give credit where credit is due: ivsenroute's posts did stimulate some discussion. But a lot of it is more like what you might post on a slow day when everyone is bored. So save the mediocre stuff for a slow day as it gets old quick like too much candy.

We are Jonesing for the big fix. :grin:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'll give credit where credit is due: ivsenroute's posts did stimulate some discussion. But a lot of it is more like what you might post on a slow day when everyone is bored.

Yeah, most of the conversation was the post, and not the pics and the violations contained in them.

Do any of you know what "AW" means?

Status
Not open for further replies.