Clean Agent Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I hope someone can help me out. In the space above a drop ceiling, is there a requirement that the detection method wiring be protected in MC, AC, or other metallic raceway? The circuits are all power limited, and to the best of my knowledge most of Chapter 3 in the NEC does not apply. Somehow this is supposedly related to New Jersey's adoption of the 2004 edition of NFPA 2001, but I can't seem to find anything in there, or NFPA 72-2002 or NFPA 70-2008. Is anyone aware of the adoption of a special rule in New Jersey? Or possibly New York; someone might be confusing jurisdictions. Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Is the space above the suspended ceiling being used for conveying environmental air?

Chris

I'm sure it's being used for "other environmental air"; we always install FPLP no matter what, but I don't think the space qualifies as a "plenum".

gadfly56

Occupation
It is a plenum as per 760.154(A) but FPLP would qualify if there is any problem call suzanne at the DCA.

So under 760.154 (A) which sends you to 300.22 (C), is FPLP cable "power cable that is specifically listed for the use"? If not, there is an awful lot of ugliness floating around out there that needs to be pulled out and replaced. I'd guess that 1/3 to 1/2 the ceiling spaces I've run into are used in some way for environmental air.

ron

4.3.1.3​
Initiating and releasing circuits shall be installed in
raceways. Other than as permitted in 4.3.1.3.1, alternating current
(ac) and direct current (dc) wiring shall not be combined

in a common conduit or raceway.

gadfly56

Occupation
4.3.1.3​
Initiating and releasing circuits shall be installed in

raceways. Other than as permitted in 4.3.1.3.1, alternating current
(ac) and direct current (dc) wiring shall not be combined
in a common conduit or raceway.

You da man, Ron!! Two of us went over NFPA 2001 and missed the changes. Thanks much for the assist.

Now I just wonder what's the next piece of rotting code ice I'll be skating over, thence to plummet to fates unknown...

ron

As a side note, NFPA 2001 is a Standard and not a Code. It is more difficult for an AHJ to enforce a Standard such as NFPA 2001 that has not been adopted by the jurisdiction as a Code or is referenced by an adopted code.

gadfly56

Occupation
As a side note, NFPA 2001 is a Standard and not a Code. It is more difficult for an AHJ to enforce a Standard such as NFPA 2001 that has not been adopted by the jurisdiction as a Code or is referenced by an adopted code.

In this case, for New Jersey, same-same.

dirtwheels

You are correct regarding 2001 as a Standard, yet once adopted by a state the Standard is the Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.