A Simple Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I've got a little (long) story for ya, I could use some advice. I recognize as I begin, that one permutation of responses to this could be, "seek a lawyer." As a moderator I recognize that I cannot seek legal advice on this forum, and this is not offered in that vein; getting a lawyer could be one reaction to the events I have experienced, but I am not sure that is the appropriate response.

A man who works with a friend of mine called me to address a problem with his rental property. The customer is a lineman, but did not feel qualified to address the problem himself, so he called me. I agreed to take a look.

What I found was an old farmhouse panel, it's contents melted beyond recogition, mounted inside a kitchen cabinet long ago. It was so bad inside I was afraid to mess with it, I decided the best course of action was to leave it be until I could replace the panel. Obviously, I cannot replace the panel in place, 110.26 violation.

The panel is serving as the service equipment, mounted directly behind the ancient a-base meter socket. My plan was to reuse the old overhead service conductors and replace the riser, metersocket and install the panel outside. I plan to refeed the old homeruns by installing a handful of j-boxes in he basement and attic. This was wednesday night, and I was hoping to have this completed by Friday night.

The next morning, I fired off an email to the poco requesting a specification for an overhead service mounted to a house. I got a reply within a couple hours thatthey would not allow the service to be mounted on the house, regardless of the circumstances. I would need to mount a service disconnect on the pole, and then run underground. The engineer asked me to meet him onsite, and we met there an hour later.

I showed him the old meter. I showed him the frozen ground. I asked him nicely to reconsider, he declined. He left, I called in locates and began making preparations for running the feeder underground. I let the customer know that the poco would not allow my original design, and that the price was going to go up because of the trenching.

I had originally told him a ballpark of up to $1500. By the time I figured everything in, the price had risen to $2660. I sent him a bid to look over, and called it a night.

The next afternoon, I get a call from the customer. He says he talked to he engineer and that now the engineer is willing to mount the meter on the house, and reuse the old overhead that he originally dismissed as damaged, running through the tree that he was now willing to cut down.

I was on my way back over to the house anyway, so I dropped in to get a clearer picture as to what I was now to install. When I arrived, he asked me if I could leave he existing metersocket and just replace the panel. I was confused, and said that it wouldn't be smart or possible to replace the panel without disturbing the existing meter.

He went on to tell me that the friendly engineer told him that if we just changed the panel in place, inside the house, that the poco would not be involved and no inspection would be necessary. With no inspector breathing down my neck, I could just replace the panel in place.

Oh, and the friendly engineer intimated that my price to trench it in the way he was making me to in the first place was too high, the customer should seek a different estimate.

So, essentially, there's someone at the power company telling my customer that I am overcharging, doing more work than is necessary ostensibly to drive up that bill, and that I should have illegally performed a panel change on the quiet with no inspection.

How would you react? :)

Last edited:

480sparky

As soon as the guy 'hired' someone else, I wouldn't bother spending any more time on it, let alone stop by the site and get my brain picked.

"Way too high" is a relative term. You get what you pay for. And the stingiest person will spend the most.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
:-?

No one else was hired, this customer was a friend of a friend, and trusts his friends choice in friends. I still have the job. I just also have a poco employee that apparently makes no bones about tarnishing our reputation and suggesting illegal activity.

macmikeman

:-?

No one else was hired, this customer was a friend of a friend, and trusts his friends choice in friends. I still have the job. I just also have a poco employee that apparently makes no bones about tarnishing our reputation and suggesting illegal activity.

Maybe his boss needs to know about these little slips of the tongue of his. At least then you go on record and any potential future malarky from that person can become genuine harassment. I'd send a letter to the poco.

nakulak

when a customer indicates that they are a pia, I won't back down on any prices, and sure as hell won't cut any corners. if he doesn't want it done right, to code, and lawfully, I would be down the road in a NY minute.

sd4524

This would tick me off too. The Poco employee has no idea about electrical contracting or YOUR business and how much things cost. I might place a concerned phone call to him or even his boss but it doesn't seem like much you can do. Also you might have to deal with him again.
There cant be two more opposite ends of making a living then being self employed and working for the Poco. He should keep his mouth shut!!

ivsenroute

If you always do what's right, you can't go wrong. Even if it sets you back in one way or another.

The bottom line is that the POCO has rules to abide by and you have a legal obligation to perform a service in accordance with all rules and regulations.

I would tell your client/friend that there is only one way to do this and that is the right way or no way at all. Why would you compromise your reputation and ehtical values at this point. I would not report the engineer to the POCO as it is verbal hearsay at this point and you can still do things the right way.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would be at the POCO office Monday morning working my way up the food chain as high as possible, mentioning your wish to avoid litigation.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
this customer is going to be trouble

I think he is a good guy. I think he figured it couldn't hurt to try to plead with the poco one last time, it could save a lot of headache and money. Essentially, he was just lobbying for the poco to accept my original plan, and got more information than he bargained for. He told me the revelation after a moment of hesitation, weighing the insult to me against my right to know.

He's a lineman, he knows how things can go sometimes.

Dnkldorf

Can you prove the POCO employee said what he said?

From your post, I'd say the freind of a friend is full of it.

I'd leave him behind, with a melted panel, and continue living the dream elsewhere.

kwired

Electron manager
you mentioned poco employee said your price for trenching was too high, you also said ground was frozen. Ask him to dig you a 10 foot trench at any depth with a shovel in said frozen ground and then ask him again if your price is too high.

ceb58

If I understand the food chain.
The customer is a lineman
You gave a price with what you first intended to do. Then after talking with the poco engineer he would not allow the install as originally quoted. Then you had to requote per changes due to poco engineers ruling.

If the customer is the lineman here's what happened. He didn't like the price because of the extra work the engineer requried. He then in-turn went to the engineer, that he works with, and worked out a deal. When the engineer found out it was an employee he was glad to "help out a fellow employee".

Now with all that said. I would want to know, from the poco's upper management Why were they willing to break their own rules and suggest an illegal unpermitted install for one person to save them money and they would not bend for anyone else who was not a poco employee.

Send an email to the poco engineer to "confirm his discussion w/ the customer" since you're now confused about the requirements and need to hear it from him directly.

ETA: I hate catching people out, but when it's something like this, I'll make an exception.

Last edited:

mivey

Re-affirm your position to the customer. It should be explained the POCO guy does not know what he is talking about. If they are wise they will listen to you. If they are unwise, that is life.

The POCO guy will not be that last person to try to tarnish your reputation. Your reputation will stand the test of time and the naysayers will either fall to the wayside, or be hearkened to by the foolish.

If you have the time and resources and you think there is some future value to you or others by trying to correct the POCO guy, I commend you for trying to make our world a better place. If you do not, I understand as there are not enough hours in a lifetime to fix everything and sometimes we just have other things to do that are higher up on the job list.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just also have a poco employee ... suggesting illegal activity.
George, there's your answer right there:
He went on to tell me that the friendly engineer told him that if we just changed the panel in place, inside the house, that the poco would not be involved and no inspection would be necessary. With no inspector breathing down my neck, I could just replace the panel in place.
I think the best thing to do is let the customer speak directly to the inspector about the feasibility, legality, and maybe even the ethics of the engineer's advice, and then call you back and see what he decided.

Can a new R3 panel not be mounted below the existing meter, use the existing panel as a J-box, and extend the circuits through the wall to a new R3 panel? That'd keep you out of the attic, the crawl, and the dirt.

zappy

You can't beleive everything customer's say.

You can't beleive everything customer's say.

It's just going to end up he said she said garbage. I don't think you'll get anywhere complaining to the guys boss. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.