What are your most common/frustrating design mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achasing

Any EE that uses a stock electrical symbols chart and never changes them. May be I'm just lazy, but it would be nice if they only put the symbols that are actually used for a particular job on the prints. Would help me check if I missed anything.

achasing

I guess another thing would be a standardized form of lay out from left to right or something like that. Don't know how many times a buildings dimensions do not turn out exactly as they are on the print. Plumbers and electricians do the underground say from the north, and then when were gone the carpenters start their layout from the south. They have no clue why pipes are not in the walls, and usually don't care. I used to deal with many of the same contractors back in the day so this wasn't a problem, but in this day and age the way jobs are so tightly bid, you never know who's going to show up, how many different subs will be on the job, or what their thinking.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Any EE that uses a stock electrical symbols chart and never changes them. May be I'm just lazy, but it would be nice if they only put the symbols that are actually used for a particular job on the prints. Would help me check if I missed anything.

While we're at it, how about architects getting a clue and using the NFPA standard symbols for fire alarm system components?

hunt4679

I attached a wiring diagram for restroom fan lights and common restroom exhaust. Our biggest issue lately is the 277V lights and 120V exhaust fan. Yes, the restrooms are generally on the same power circuit ... but that doesn't matter with this setup. Thoughts?

This wiring diagram was being used in this office when I started here ... I haven't had any personal contractor reactions to it yet.

I would switch the 120 volt and have a 120 volt coil relay and have the contacts run the 277 for lighting. I havent seen too many 277v coils on relays around here

e57

I guess another thing would be a standardized form of lay out from left to right or something like that. Don't know how many times a buildings dimensions do not turn out exactly as they are on the print. Plumbers and electricians do the underground say from the north, and then when were gone the carpenters start their layout from the south. They have no clue why pipes are not in the walls, and usually don't care. I used to deal with many of the same contractors back in the day so this wasn't a problem, but in this day and age the way jobs are so tightly bid, you never know who's going to show up, how many different subs will be on the job, or what their thinking.
Many of the fresh out of school crowd will assign lines (ABC/123) not so much as a grid, but along walls and other faces with known dimentions - works really well, as many of them follow through the whole building. Works great for communicating as well - "See there on line G..." And a smart GC may even flag some of these with a red line under laquer...

cadpoint

Both the AIA and the Army Corp of Engineering have standard level/layer assignments for CAD.

The drawings of mechanical and electrical only turn into a shell and column lines - dimensions and even
column bubbles just disappear.

A fine example is.
Why can't one show a drawing with all ceiling information, for example HVAC grilles, lights and sprinklers,
or have a drawing showing heavy plumbing/piping, lights and air ducts.

There's plenty of information that is not physically shown on modern drawing, that easily can be, why because
that’s someone else’s discipline, go see their sheet, and figure where your stuff fits to someone else’s discipline.

There are percentages of Gray that can be usable and very visable, present the information!

Finally, they run the construction meetings by the specifications number order, by the time the EC gets to
speak to their issues, they only get to wake everyone up to run out of the meeting!

Last edited:

masterinbama

Getting answers to RFI's has always been my biggest pet peeve with engineers and architects. If you cannot come up with a solution in a short amount of time, at least inform the contractors you are aware of the situation, and you are working on it.

220/221

From an installers viewpoint, the list is endless. It seems like every single day I am cussing out some college educated designer/engineer for doing something stupid. It's usually something very simple and if they actually assembled/installed on unit in the field, they would regognize and change the design. They figure, "it works on paper so let's ship it out".

As far as your specific job, I would suggest that you do not specify a fixture without at least taking it apart and actually looking at it. Better yet, install one. The crap the designers and architects specify from catalogs is astounding. They assume that the product is good because it's expensive. Wrong.

View any new, untested product with skepticism.

PS.

Don't put lights above stairwells. No one like to set up scafflod to change a light bulb.

Don't put photocells on rooftops unless absiolutely necessary and spec out a simple Pcell override switch for maintenance purposes.

Don't put light pole in grass areas.

Don't put wallpacks over canopies (again, maintenance access)

PPS.

Limit your cut and pasting. At least read it and understand it before you spread it around. I can't believe the amount of BS that gets put into plans this way.

Last edited:

steve066

Finally, they run the construction meetings by the specifications number order, by the time the EC gets to
speak to their issues, they only get to wake everyone up to run out of the meeting!

That's funny...the design meetings are about the same. We go through the drawings from front to back, so the E-sheets are always last.

By the time the architects go through everything right down to exactly what type of pulls go on the cabinet drawers, everyone is asleep.

I'm lucky if I get 10 min. to cover everything from power to lighting, to fire alarm, to communicatiions and systems.

Steve

ptrip

From an installers viewpoint, the list is endless. It seems like every single day I am cussing out some college educated designer/engineer for doing something stupid. It's usually something very simple and if they actually assembled/installed on unit in the field, they would regognize and change the design. They figure, "it works on paper so let's ship it out".

College educated does not mean perfect. It means we were dumb enough to spend an ungodly amount of money to start a career with very little true experience. I learned NOTHING in college that has honestly helped out with my career (of course my degree is Industrial Engineering and not Electrical Engineering...)

As far as your specific job, I would suggest that you do not specify a fixture without at least taking it apart and actually looking at it. Better yet, install one. The crap the designers and architects specify from catalogs is astounding. They assume that the product is good because it's expensive. Wrong.

View any new, untested product with skepticism.

I would love to have the time and resources to do that ... :cool: But alas I don't, that's why I asked this question to begin with (and had another thread asking about a specific product that I'm interested in specifying but have never used).

PS.

Don't put lights above stairwells. No one like to set up scafflod to change a light bulb.

Working on stairwell lighting right now ... I can't come up with another more efficient means of lighting. Scaffolding once a year to replace all the lighting (max) will just have to be the way to go.

Don't put photocells on rooftops unless absiolutely necessary and spec out a simple Pcell override switch for maintenance purposes.

Where else would the photocell that controls the exterior lighting go? I do like the Pcell override switch ... thanks for the idea!

Don't put light pole in grass areas.

Why wouldn't you want light poles in grassy areas? My experience has always been to put them in islands and in the grassy perimeter. Less chance of a pole being hit by a car.

Don't put wallpacks over canopies (again, maintenance access)

That's understandable, I need to remind myself often to look at elevation drawings as I place exterior wall packs. :cool:

PPS.

Limit your cut and pasting. At least read it and understand it before you spread it around. I can't believe the amount of BS that gets put into plans this way.

I am guilty of this and have been embarrassed by it more than once. Heck ... I've been embarassed by the notes I wrote myself more than once! :roll: Eventually I'll learn ....

That's funny...the design meetings are about the same. We go through the drawings from front to back, so the E-sheets are always last.

By the time the architects go through everything right down to exactly what type of pulls go on the cabinet drawers, everyone is asleep.

I'm lucky if I get 10 min. to cover everything from power to lighting, to fire alarm, to communicatiions and systems.

Steve

Been in both positions. By the time they are too the elec division in design mtgs we are out of time because other divisions ran over their "alotted" time. A couple of architects I'm working with have recently gone to time "slots" for all divisions so everyone doesn't have to be there all day ... but I've still managed to get squeezed out of time. <shaking head>

The actual design time (not mtg time) is very similar as well. The due date is 3/1 ... the mechanical folks won't have given their info to me until 2/27 ... guaranteed ... no matter how much I've pestered them! But yet it all has to be done.

Luckily I'm now doing schools and most of the equipment is similar from job to job. I'll put everything in as placeholder early and, theoretically, I just have to update loads and double check locations prior to final print.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The actual design time (not mtg time) is very similar as well. The due date is 3/1 ... the mechanical folks won't have given their info to me until 2/27 ... guaranteed ... no matter how much I've pestered them! But yet it all has to be done.

Same here. The architects wait till the last minute, which doesn't give the ME's any time to design. Then the ME's turn around and do the same thing to the EE's.

We have to be psychic so we know in advance what everyone will want. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.