ic rated can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be an easy one, just unsure. i know that an ic rated can light can have insulation around it and non-ic cannot, but my question is in a basement ceiling do the can lights need to be ic rated if there is no insulation but the joist depth is just enough to fit the can light? Or can you use non-ic if there is no insulation? thanks

jwjrw

This should be an easy one, just unsure. i know that an ic rated can light can have insulation around it and non-ic cannot, but my question is in a basement ceiling do the can lights need to be ic rated if there is no insulation but the joist depth is just enough to fit the can light? Or can you use non-ic if there is no insulation? thanks

I think you have to have 3" clearance on non ic rated.

cpal

2008 410.116(A)(1) Non-Type IC or the old 410.66

Unless a isting or instruction says different the Code states 1/2" from combustible materials

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there is no insulation then you can use non-IC cans. If there is insulation then you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. All of the ones that I've seen usually require 3" of space from the insulation as per the manufacturer's note.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Lightolier requires 3" for non-IC cans, look at features #6:

http://www.lightolier.com/MKACatpdfs/1002P1.PDF

dw1102PI.jpg

jwjrw

That manufacturer spec is for non-IC where there is insulation. It makes no mention of a 3" clearance from combustible surfaces. I say ?" is good to go.

I actually just pulled that off the net and saw 3" didnt read with insulation.
I had a situation and I do think it was halo not swearing to it that non ic wanted 3" reguardless of insulation.

fishin' electrician

I actually just pulled that off the net and saw 3" didnt read with insulation.
I had a situation and I do think it was halo not swearing to it that non ic wanted 3" reguardless of insulation.

I'm not saying I doubt you, but I have never seen that type of spec. I would think a ?" air space around a fixture is more than enough clearance to prevent combustible material from ignition.

jwjrw

I'm not saying I doubt you, but I have never seen that type of spec. I would think a ?" air space around a fixture is more than enough clearance to prevent combustible material from ignition.

Actually my memory is sooo bad there could of been insulation and thus the 3". I know you are right about the half inch from combustable material if the instructions allow it.:D

cpal

So!
we are all on the same page? Non IC mo Insulation, 1/2" should be good to go!!

yes / no???

Status
Not open for further replies.