ground rod ques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

when you drive the 2nd ground rod 6 ft apart do you have to tie the two rods together with a piece of # 6 wire and go directly to the panel no splices.or can you run a # 6 wire from the panel to the first rod and another piece of # 6 wire to the second rod.i say no because if someone lifts one of the wires off the netural bar which goes to the rod the system is no longer compliant.i cant find any that states wher the rods must be tied together except maybe 250 .62 (c). thre electrican said tieing the rods together is in series and they must be done in parell thatswhy you must run a seperate wire to each rod but he didnot rember the atticle. this is mish mash to me meaning i dont no what he is talking about.

iwire

Staff member
The GEC has to run continuous to the grounding electrode system.

The grounding electrode system can be made up of separate bonding jumpers tying all electrodes together.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
a ground rod is an electrode, a 2nd ground rod is an electrode. The Code allows you to connect electrodes together. As Bob states, your grounding electrode conductor from your system to the electrode must be continuous, but once you connect to an electrode, you may connect to a second electrode with a separate conductor.
You can run a GEC to the 1st rod and connect it and then, by adding a second clamp, you can connect a second rod with a separate wire.

jwjrw

a ground rod is an electrode, a 2nd ground rod is an electrode. The Code allows you to connect electrodes together. As Bob states, your grounding electrode conductor from your system to the electrode must be continuous, but once you connect to an electrode, you may connect to a second electrode with a separate conductor.
You can run a GEC to the 1st rod and connect it and then, by adding a second clamp, you can connect a second rod with a separate wire.

And I might add depending on where you are we have to run #4 to our grounding electrodes not #6 and 2 ground rods are always required.

Jim W in Tampa

Why make this hard ? The reason for 2 rods is to not mess with a test. Run to first rod thru an acorn without cutting and go to second rod. No extra clamps needed. Why cut the wire ?

brian john

when you drive the 2nd ground rod 6 ft apart do you have to tie the two rods together with a piece of # 6 wire and go directly to the panel no splices.or can you run a # 6 wire from the panel to the first rod and another piece of # 6 wire to the second rod.i say no because if someone lifts one of the wires off the netural bar which goes to the rod the system is no longer compliant.i cant find any that states wher the rods must be tied together except maybe 250 .62 (c). thre electrican said tieing the rods together is in series and they must be done in parell thatswhy you must run a seperate wire to each rod but he didnot rember the atticle. this is mish mash to me meaning i dont no what he is talking about.

And six feet is the minimum distance between them, farther apart makes for a better electrode system.

mistermudd

The second clamp on first rod is the key, clamps are only rated for one conductor. Code does not require a separate GEC from the panel to each rod. And yes it might seem like a better install to run it continuous but not required be code.

Jim W in Tampa

The second clamp on first rod is the key, clamps are only rated for one conductor. Code does not require a separate GEC from the panel to each rod. And yes it might seem like a better install to run it continuous but not required be code.

All you need do is run it thru the clamp and keep going (1 wire)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's an example of the GEC and bonding jumper to a pair of ground rods. As Jim stated you could use one clamp on the first rod if you just stripped the GEC and let it pass through the first clamp and continue on to the second rod. You cannot do what is depicted in the second graphic:

1113919386_2.jpg

1113921169_2.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Nope its a written amendment. We have alot of red clay and rocks all around here. Someone decided we needed two whether we do or not so 2 it is!

So your area does not use the NC State Electrical Code?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.