Overhead 4-wire service, residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

I followed your link. For each size (2/0, 3/0 etc) they assigned a "code name" to each one.

Where did that come from, is that a POCO thing?

maybe its to confuse trucking companies when you need to ship a reel of tallahassee over to atlanta

iwire

Staff member
I don't see anything in 396 that requires the product to be a listed product.

A bad choice of words on my part.

Listed, as in listed in Table 310.13.

There may well be quadplex with the correct markings but I have not seen it in this area.

No different than all the discussions about DLO cable that is not dual listed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A bad choice of words on my part.

Listed, as in listed in Table 310.13.

There may well be quadplex with the correct markings but I have not seen it in this area.

No different than all the discussions about DLO cable that is not dual listed.
I think there is a big difference here. The discussions about DLO hinge on requirements that conductors used within Chapter 3 wiring methods be conductors that are listed in Table 310.13. There is no such requirement for the conductors in a factory assembled messenger cable. Look at Table 396.10(A) and notice the absence of an article reference for a "factory assembled" cable. With It requires that the cable be "identified", and while a listing is one method by which a product can be "identified" for a specific use, it does actually require a listing. I would say that the quadplex or triplex factory cable assemblies are "recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment, application, and so forth" based on the extensive successful use of these products by the utilities.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where would you use ACSR? Outside?

If so, would it not stand to reason that it would be exposed to sunlight and rain? So would not 310.(8)(C) and (D) apply?

Just stirring the pot a bit.
Messenger supported conductors are "specifically provided for elsewhere in this Code" and therefore are not subject to the rules in Article 310. 310.1
As far as being suitable for outside use, I suggest the the extensive successful use of this able by utilities shows the suitability of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.