ground rod ques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

So your area does not use the NC State Electrical Code?

Roger

I didnt know we had a state electrical code. Every county I have worked in require 2. I know meck county has it on the web site or did at one time.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I didnt know we had a state electrical code. Every county I have worked in require 2. I know meck county has it on the web site or did at one time.

You can go here to see it. It is the NEC with a few admendments.

You can also see a formal interpretation concerning 250.56 here

Roger

gar

Occupation
EE
100129-1122 EST

jaylectricity:

No you can not just use your ohmmeter.

In reality if you are just playing around and want to experiment and get an estimate you could use your DC ohmmeter. However, there are some problems.

If you attempt to measure the resistance of a conductive liquid like water with dissolved salts, most non-distilled water, then with DC excitation you will notice a gradual increase in the resistance vs time. If you have a Simpson 260, then you can switch the +/- selector back and forth and simulate a low frequency AC signal. I did a quick check in our tap water in a glass with a 270, and its test leads. My initial reading was 35,000, and after a few seconds 45,000 ohms on the 10,000 range.

A better experiment is with a 28 V output isolation transformer at 60 Hz, an ammeter, and voltmeter. Use two electrodes spaced maybe 30 ft apart. Use a 0.1 ohm resistor and voltmeter to measure current so you do not burn out expensive Fluke fuses. This will give you the resistance of both electrodes and the earth in series. In my area I measure 10 to 20 ohms with 8 ft rods in a clay loam soil. This is not the NEC fall of potential method but gives you a crude estimate. You can expand this experiment to do a fall of potential measurement. I use a 2 A output transformer and don't keep the load on very long. I can get a moderate correlation between the Simpson 260 reading and my 28 V AC test.

Before supplying power to the 28 V transformer and with the secondary open make voltage measurements between the electrodes, and between isolated probes (screwdrivers) in the earth between the test rods. Always be careful because there may be some ground areas with large potential differences. If you see more than 1 volt of residual ground voltage, then do the experiment somewhere else. A 1 volt error in 28 V is not a signification error for a very crude experiment. Commercial instruments use AC excitation but not at 60 Hz to avoid the residual 60 Hz error signals.

Do a Google search for --- fall of potential ground test --- first result today was:
http://www.kilowattclassroom.com/Archive/GndTestArticle.pdf

Other than for your education don't bother. Just drive two ground rods.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Most electricians and inspectors don't understand this.
The code allows two wires and three clamps.
The GEC goes to grounding electrode.
From there to other electrodes its a bonding jumper.
See 150.64(F)(1) in the 2008 NEC and note the gray boxes
This is a change for the 2008 NEC and its much better wording. I can see why before it was not clear.

jwjrw

You didn't need the rods with a CEE.

I can only tell you right or wrong here you get 2 ground rods even with a cee.
Can you show me where it says you dont need supplemental rods if you have an cee? Maybe next time Ill try to fight it.:D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can you show me where it says you dont need supplemental rods if you have an cee? Maybe next time Ill try to fight it.:D

Take note of the wording in the article sections below.

(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8). Where the supplemental electrode is a rod, pipe, or plate type, it shall comply with 250.56. The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to the grounding electrode conductor, the grounded service-entrance conductor, the nonflexible grounded service raceway, or any grounded service enclosure.

That would mean only one (any one) of the electrodes in 250.52(A) (2) through (8) needs to be used.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

As Roger stated you only need to supplement the water pipe. If a CEE is present then you must use it. This would become your supplemental electrode. If there is no water pipe (or it's plastic) then you only need one electrode. If someone is saying that you need the water pipe, a CEE and ground rods they're not enforcing the NEC correctly.

electricmanscott

It's not wrong to do it but it isn't right to require it. If we (us and inspectors) just read the book once in a while we wouldn't be having these issues.

jwjrw

It's not wrong to do it but it isn't right to require it. If we (us and inspectors) just read the book once in a while we wouldn't be having these issues.

Like alot of electricians I struggle in some areas that I havent got alot of experience in. Looking at plans tells you what to do not why. I am trying hard to learn what I dont know yet. The things I have learned over the years I know and do well. The things I need to learn I hope chatting on here will help with. Thanks guys your a big help.:D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Like alot of electricians I struggle in some areas that I havent got alot of experience in. Looking at plans tells you what to do not why. I am trying hard to learn what I dont know yet. The things I have learned over the years I know and do well. The things I need to learn I hope chatting on here will help with. Thanks guys your a big help.:D

Many of us do things certain ways because that's the way we were taught. Doesn't mean that those methods are always required or correct. Also the NEC changes every three years so what was applicable yesterday may not be required today. I see this out in the filed quite often. Doing things that are not required because someone was told (incorrectly) that it is required.

jwjrw

Many of us do things certain ways because that's the way we were taught. Doesn't mean that those methods are always required or correct. Also the NEC changes every three years so what was applicable yesterday may not be required today. I see this out in the filed quite often. Doing things that are not required because someone was told (incorrectly) that it is required.

Yep changes every 3 years and wording that sometimes can be difficult to interpert what they really intended makes it a lot to learn and something you have to keep up with.
The ground rods were on the plans I didnt question that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did a job where I drove a ground rod for a temp. pole and I put a cee in the footers of the structure. At the end of the job I did a three point test and found the cee to have 13 ohms while the rod had 93 ohms. When I added a second rod I got it down to 89 ohms.

So does it really add to the 13 ohm CEE to include those rods also. I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.