Oldest code book

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

Here's one for all you old wire twisters out there. Who has a copy of the oldest code book? I"ll start the "bidding" out with a 1975. My 1st/2nd year apprenticeship codebook. I remember seeing one from the 50's. Boy was it small!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's one for all you old wire twisters out there. Who has a copy of the oldest code book? I"ll start the "bidding" out with a 1975. My 1st/2nd year apprenticeship codebook. I remember seeing one from the 50's. Boy was it small!
Sorry, Steve, you're not even in the running. There is more than one forum member with pre-1900 codes.

Last edited:

walkerj

My oldest dates back to 2002:cool:

I do have a book called "Questions and Answers to Electrician's Examinations" based on the 1975 NEC not that that has anything to do with this thread

kbsparky

Here is another scan from inside of the front cover. While this book was a reprint from the original, it still has historical significance.

It was issued during a 1984 Code change seminar given by the Middle Dept. Inspection Agency, Inc. Everyone who attended the class was given a copy.

Attachments

• 1897Code.JPG
    1897Code.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

480sparky

OK, I'll brag a bit:

Sept2009SmallLabels.jpg

480sparky

Click here for an excellent (and I mean excellent!) NEC history. Micheal there has documented what became the NEC back to 1881.

As for who has the 'oldest' code book, that's a subject of debate, as what would constitute a 'code book'. The NFPA didn't publish it until 1925. The oldest actual codebook I have is the 1911, my 1897 being the same 1984 reprint kbsparky has, and my 1896 and 1901 and handbooks.

The oldest genuine electrical book I have is "Munro and Jamieson's Pocket Book of Electrical Rules & Tables," printed in London in 1888.

Now, if you want old, try to find a copy of The Nature and Property of Electricity, printed in England in 1746.

Last edited:

brian john

Click here for an excellent (and I mean excellent!) NEC history. Micheal there has documented what became the NEC back to 1881.

As for who has the 'oldest' code book, that's a subject of debate, as what would constitute a 'code book'. The NFPA didn't publish it until 1925. The oldest actual codebook I have is the 1911, my 1897 being the same 1984 reprint kbsparky has, and my 1896 and 1901 and handbooks.

The oldest genuine electrical book I have is "Munro and Jamieson's Pocket Book of Electrical Rules & Tables," printed in London in 1888.

Now, if you want old, try to find a copy of The Nature and Property of Electricity, printed in England in 1746.

I have a few old code books, you have a LOT of old code books and a knowledge of the NEC history to go along with the books.

480sparky

I have a few old code books, you have a LOT of old code books and a knowledge of the NEC history to go along with the books.

And you know what's really had to find? A looseleaf copy of the 1993. I know they printed them because I have the pages, but I've thrown out the original cover. I recently found my 1996 looseleaf, but it's not shown in the photo. I guess I'm partial to looseleafs, you can tell by the photo.

I guess I could just print my own cover and stick it in a store-bought 7-ring binder, but for some reason that seems like cheating.

kbsparky

And you know what's really had to find? A looseleaf copy of the 1993. I know they printed them because I have the pages, but I've thrown out the original cover. I recently found my 1996 looseleaf, but it's not shown in the photo. I guess I'm partial to looseleafs, you can tell by the photo.

I guess I could just print my own cover and stick it in a store-bought 7-ring binder, but for some reason that seems like cheating.

I have the looseleaf, complete with an engraved name plate on the binding. It came as a premium from Branch Electric's Expo and code class given at that time by Gregory P. Bierals.

Status
Not open for further replies.