Cold weather electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

That is too funny. I do believe the Hells Angles camped at Officers Gulch up I-70 towards Copper.

I stayed in a condo where the Snake enters Dillon Res in Summit Cove. It got so damm cold the incoming water pipes froze and the owner said he would not do anything about it 'till spring. So after that I was in a condo in Wildernest.

You must have eaten at the Old Dillon Inn (ODI) back then. How about the Snake River Saloon up in Keystone.

The good old Snake River Saloon. Boy do I have some stories about that place!
In my apprenticeship I worked at a couple of different ski resorts. One of them was A-Basin which back then was privately owned. We wired new ski lifts along with remodeling various buildings over the course of a couple years. The lot of the employees at A-Basin did most of their "socializing" at The Snake Creek Saloon. So needless to say, so did we. I remember two people in perticular. Rick was one of the maintenance guys for A-Basin. One of his jobs was to keep up the maintenance on all the lifts. This would sometimes require him to climb the towers. Here's the catch. He had an artifical leg. I didn't know about it until he pulled a prank on some poor unsuspecting Snake Creek Saloon bar patron by sticking a knife in his leg.
The other character was the nighttime snow cat slope groomer who we called "Dudley Rimshot." I never knew his real name. Dudley was a heavy drinker to say the least. Dudley would close down the Snake Creek Saloon and leave the bar with a pony keg of beer and a tap. He would then go to work grooming the slopes for the next day. Of course he kept that keg in the snow cat with him just in case dehydration over took him while he worked through the early morning hours grooming all the slopes. Here is the other catch. He only had one eye! If I'm Lie'n, I'm Die'n! You just can't make this stuff up. What a thought. A one eyed, slightly inebriated snow cat driver running up and down the ski slopes at night with a beer in his hand. Boy those days are over! If we were working on an upper lift station that day he would swing by in the morning after his grooming duties and we would load up the tools and material in the snow cat. Up the slope we would go with the three of us and a half empty pony keg rolling around in the cab. The story was is that Dudley use to be some sort of a race car driver in his earlier days. He lived above the maintenance building. I remember seeing a steering wheel off of some race car tacked up on the wall in his apartment. Many years later when the movie Caddyshack came out, there was a scene in Bill Murry's "apartment". I said to my self, hey I've seen that place! It was Dudley's. I could go on and on, but I don't what to be banned from this forum. Thanks for listening.

The good old Snake River Saloon. Boy do I have some stories about that place!
In my apprenticeship I worked at a couple of different ski resorts. One of them was A-Basin which back then was privately owned. We wired new ski lifts along with remodeling various buildings over the course of a couple years. The lot of the employees at A-Basin did most of their "socializing" at The Snake Creek Saloon. So needless to say, so did we. I remember two people in perticular. Rick was one of the maintenance guys for A-Basin. One of his jobs was to keep up the maintenance on all the lifts. This would sometimes require him to climb the towers. Here's the catch. He had an artifical leg. I didn't know about it until he pulled a prank on some poor unsuspecting Snake Creek Saloon bar patron by sticking a knife in his leg.
The other character was the nighttime snow cat slope groomer who we called "Dudley Rimshot." I never knew his real name. Dudley was a heavy drinker to say the least. Dudley would close down the Snake Creek Saloon and leave the bar with a pony keg of beer and a tap. He would then go to work grooming the slopes for the next day. Of course he kept that keg in the snow cat with him just in case dehydration over took him while he worked through the early morning hours grooming all the slopes. Here is the other catch. He only had one eye! If I'm Lie'n, I'm Die'n! You just can't make this stuff up. What a thought. A one eyed, slightly inebriated snow cat driver running up and down the ski slopes at night with a beer in his hand. Boy those days are over! If we were working on an upper lift station that day he would swing by in the morning after his grooming duties and we would load up the tools and material in the snow cat. Up the slope we would go with the three of us and a half empty pony keg rolling around in the cab. The story was is that Dudley use to be some sort of a race car driver in his earlier days. He lived above the maintenance building. I remember seeing a steering wheel off of some race car tacked up on the wall in his apartment. Many years later when the movie Caddyshack came out, there was a scene in Bill Murry's "apartment". I said to my self, hey I've seen that place! It was Dudley's. I could go on and on, but I don't what to be banned from this forum. Thanks for listening.

I am just laughing my arse off! That was a long time ago! We probably ran into each other. The last project I was a super on was at the head of the Snake were it hits Dillon. It was called Arcadia then.

Great to meet you.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I was alternating between outside and an unheated, uninsulated, unsided ground level basement all day today. Long johns and jeans on my legs. Tank top, heavy T-shirt, sweatshirt, and flannel jacket on torso. Wore the gloves I mentioned earlier in the thread for most of the day. Wasn't too bad, although bending 2/0 copper SE wasn't all that fun. But again, not as bad as I expected.

Got a little windy as the sun went down, but I installed the circuit panel, feeder from meter socket, meter socket and 25' of 2" PVC with expansion joint and 90 deg bend in about 5 hours by myself. Something that slowed me down was the excavation equipment in the driveway, so I had to walk about 50 yards to my truck on the side of the street when I needed something. Also the ground was incredibly uneven and frozen, so setting the extension ladder was time consuming as well. Also to get from the meter socket to the panel on the other side of the wall, I was walking about 100 feet to walk to the door at the other end of the house and back inside the basement. Would have been faster with a helper, but no reason to rush so why spend the money?

Figured I'd share with the OP how the day went.

Jim W in Tampa

Not trying to be nasty but does it ever cross your minds that being cold is not something you must do. At 24 i made my plans to leave Pa. and moved to FL. I live just as good here and seldom need be cold. Yes the seasons are nice but so is a beach you can use all year long. No state tax, no salt on roads eating my car, no big electric and fuel bills to keep warm.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Not trying to be nasty but does it ever cross your minds that being cold is not something you must do. At 24 i made my plans to leave Pa. and moved to FL. I live just as good here and seldom need be cold. Yes the seasons are nice but so is a beach you can use all year long. No state tax, no salt on roads eating my car, no big electric and fuel bills to keep warm.

That's all well and fine Jim, and if you want all us northern electricians to flood your market, hopefully you have a couch for me to sleep on until we get on our feet! :grin:

But there are other things that keep us up here. In my case it is my girlfriend's family. She's not quite ready to move away to some place where her dad can't stop by at her work and say "Hi" and she doesn't see her mom almost every day.

She hates the cold, so she's getting closer to wanting to move, but there's more to life than summer.

Jim W in Tampa

That's all well and fine Jim, and if you want all us northern electricians to flood your market, hopefully you have a couch for me to sleep on until we get on our feet! :grin:

But there are other things that keep us up here. In my case it is my girlfriend's family. She's not quite ready to move away to some place where her dad can't stop by at her work and say "Hi" and she doesn't see her mom almost every day.

She hates the cold, so she's getting closer to wanting to move, but there's more to life than summer.

I am retiring in 10 weeks , you can take my spot
my dog might not let you have his spot on couch

hot wire

Talking about another snow storm here this weekend .I hate it Va doesnt usually get a lot of snow.How do they do it up north as far as clearing roads to make the roads pass able we get 10 inches and every thing is shut down for 3 or 4 days.

electricmanscott

Talking about another snow storm here this weekend .I hate it Va doesnt usually get a lot of snow.How do they do it up north as far as clearing roads to make the roads pass able we get 10 inches and every thing is shut down for 3 or 4 days.

It's all about the equipment. During a storm you'll see conga lines of plows going nonstop on the highways and even local roads too. Imagine a four lane road with 6-8 plows driving by at the same time.

jaylectricity

Occupation

For some reason I can't get page 6 to load (it keeps re-directing to page 5), so Scott may have already answered this (The forum shows him as the last post).

We have snow more often, so we have many more plows available. The state has some, the towns have some, then lots of individuals run their own businesses. So during big storms, those state plows are out on the highways plowing every 6" or so, By the time 12" has fallen they've already done one run through, then they go over it again. The town plows take care of the smaller roads. Some really small roads don't get plowed, but many private plows who have contracts with various businesses and apartment complexes will end up plowing their own neighborhood as well.

And sometimes the storm is really big and it's tough to keep up, but it's less than a day before everything is passable again. Snow builds up the most when the storm hits at night, but that is the easiest time to clean it up because there's no traffic. Also after the first snow storm there's already salt on the road, so for the next few snow storms, the snow melts faster on the roads.

/I didn't mean to type that much, but there ya go.

stjohnbarleycorn

I tried fl and did not like it at all. instead of snow its sweat, you are soaked by the time you leave the house and get in your truck. THanks but no thanks.

Hendrix

No kidding. I was supposed to do a service yesterday but it was too cold and windy for them to finish the siding. Even when I get this service installed and the house juiced up, they don't even have a heating system installed. So I'll be doing finish work (Pre-fab house) in the freezing cold.
Ata boy, we New Englanders are a hardy bunch. :grin:

RHJohnson

Big Piney, Wyoming - Welcome to the Icebox Of the Nation

Big Piney, Wyoming - Welcome to the Icebox Of the Nation

I spent one winter working outside in the Wyoming mountains. It would blow everyday and get really cold. Ate lunch in a heated room.....That was heaven.
One day I'm piping this tank farm, it wasn't windy, and I really felt comfortable. Come lunch time I decided to just sit down on these metal stairs and enjoy such a nice day. Checked the thermometer hanging on my coat and could not believe it was -20....and no wind! If the wind was over 30 mph we couldn't go up in the manlift. I actually went up once and swept snow off the I beams so I could walk them. If it was -40 we had to go to the lunch room where we waited for the bus so we could leave the site.
I've got pictures, we all look like racoons. Wind burned except around our eyes due to wearing safety glasses.
The coldest I ever worked through was -60... I didn't work more than 2 hours outside, with a trip in every 15 minutes to warm up. Hope I never see it that cold again.
I did just come in from outside a little while ago - I just came back from a one mile walk, it's dark as can be and -23..
You guessed it - I retired to Alaska. Worked in Florida, NC, and VA - can not take that muggy heat. A little know fact, back in the 1750's if you had a life insurance policy it would not cover you if you went to those and surrounding states. Malaria caused much illness and death.

Cold Fusion

Not trying to be nasty, but does it ever cross your minds how glad I am that you and all those below the 48th parallel like it where they are.

cf

bpk

Why do people think the snow and cold are such terrible things. There are alot of things you can do in the northern parts of the country that you cant do anywhere else ( ice fishing,skiing,snowmobiling,take the kids sledding, ect.)
As for work I would take 10 degrees before 100 anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.