Motion switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaptd

The customer has a two gang switch box at the bathroom(commercial)for the fluorescent light and a exhaust fan. He wanted a motion to turn both on upon entering. It is wired for that. With the switch on auto the light does not completely light 100% and the small 50cfm fan is running at 25%. When the switch is turned to its manual on then the light and fan run at their full power. Its is not an electronic ballast like the directions warn for the motion switch. please help.

kbsparky

Junk, junk, junk!!

I bought several of those (GE I think?:confused:) at Sam's club, and had to return`em after attempting to do exactly what you are attempting.

I ended up using P&S motion sensors which performed nicely, controlling both an electronic ballast fluorescent and a 50 cfm fart fan.

Edit to add: The P&S switches were more than twice the cost of the el-cheep-o's.

Last edited:

hurk27

Look for a motion switch that has a relay controlled output or dry contacts, levinton, Hubble, and a few others make them rated for 15 or 20 amp loads, the ones with the dry contacts will have two same colored wires which one of these wires will connect to the line, and the other will connect to the load.

These type will list the ability to control everything from incandescent to HID type ballasted lights, and even motor loads. the type you installed has a solid state electronic controlled output which will conflict with motors and ballast of any kind.

The Hubble was one of the best ones I have ever used, and gave the best performance, they use both ultra sound and PIR for detection, and the lights are tripped on fast as you walk in the door, they can be set for adjustable photo detection for cloudy days to bring on the lights only when needed, also they are multi-voltage rated 120-277 which makes a nice unit to stock for fast service on just about any install.

kbsparky

You would think that the "guts" of those motion sensors have the equivalent of an ice cube relay contacts built-in. It would make sense, but that doesn't seem to be the case .... :confused:

hurk27

You would think that the "guts" of those motion sensors have the equivalent of an ice cube relay contacts built-in. It would make sense, but that doesn't seem to be the case .... :confused:

It depends upon the type you get, some do and some dont, you pay for what you get, electronic switching is becoming the norm for resistive loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.