Long wire loops in sub panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've never heard of anyone having a new house independently inspected. Interesting.

If the first half of this sentence is true, he has a point about the second half, so confirm the first half.

You might want to call the inspector and ask if he'd meet you and look at this stuff "again" just to reaffirm that it passed.

Do it all the time. Not to question the building department as to see what was changed after the final.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I'm not really related to the electrical field, but I wanted an answer from the best, so here I am.

I'm buying a newly constructed home (1800 sq ft,) and had a home inspection done. In the electrical panel, the black (power) wires come in through the holes in sides near the top of the box then loop all the way to the bottom of the panel and then back up to the individual breakers. None of them are secured to the cabinet at any point and some are at least 18 to 24 inches long if not longer!

When the panel cover was opened, these super long wire loops "popped" out of the box like they were on springs! It was hard to even get the panel cover back on. In addition, several white wires were being used as power wires and were not marked as such.

My builder says that the panel passed the 'code inspection' from the city and he's not going to fix anything that was already passed no matter what any home inspectore says.

What do any of you say?

Thanks

I can tell just from the tone of your posts you're just looking for something to gripe about, probably to gain a financial edge. Here's the skinny - white wires are used in NM cables as hots all the time, especially on 240v air handlers, exterior AC or heat pump compressors, cooktops, built-in ovens, and any other 240 volt circuit. Your home inspector is wrong.

Now, this is a new home with a builder on hand, and city inspections and probably a C of O... WHY are you hiring an independant home inspector? This oughta be interesting...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can tell just from the tone of your posts you're just looking for something to gripe about, probably to gain a financial edge. Here's the skinny - white wires are used in NM cables as hots all the time, especially on 240v air handlers, exterior AC or heat pump compressors, cooktops, built-in ovens, and any other 240 volt circuit. Your home inspector is wrong.

For what it's worth he did not question the use of the white condcutor as a hot leg he said that they weren't properly marked.

When the panel cover was opened, these super long wire loops "popped" out of the box like they were on springs! It was hard to even get the panel cover back on. In addition, several white wires were being used as power wires and were not marked as such.
The home inspector was correct. All you need to do is take a black magic marker and put a line on the white conductor where it attaches to the breaker.

LawnGuyLandSparky

For what it's worth he did not question the use of the white condcutor as a hot leg he said that they weren't properly marked.

The home inspector was correct. All you need to do is take a black magic marker and put a line on the white conductor where it attaches to the breaker.

True, being that slack conductor freaked him out, I don't put too much faith that he checked those white conductors for black markings right up into the breaker.

hunt4679

I wish more people would hire a home inspector when buying a new house. I see what some of these builders to cut corners and it ends up costing the owner money to fix in the future. Kinda feel bad for people that dont know what they are getting into. Two words: Ryan Homes

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wish more people would hire a home inspector when buying a new house. I see what some of these builders to cut corners and it ends up costing the owner money to fix in the future. Kinda feel bad for people that dont know what they are getting into. Two words: Ryan Homes

I have seen this too, especially when a builder has a presence in a small town. All of the inspectors know them and their subs and many times an inspection is just a formality. The person who ultimately buys the place can get stuck with an inferior product.

jwjrw

One county here just last year hired a "real electrical inspector". Before that the inspectors would look at the panel stick a tester in a few outlets, say everything looks good and walk out on a final. Im sure alot of multi inspectors
do know what they are doing but these guys didn't seem to know much about electrical.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Even though we have a state code unless there is a certified building department in an area no one inspects a new construction home or a remodel.

djohns6

The city I live in has an inspector that looks at it all . Plumbing , electrical , etc. He knows enough to catch the big , important things , but the little details escape him .

Cavie

The city I live in has an inspector that looks at it all . Plumbing , electrical , etc. He knows enough to catch the big , important things , but the little details escape him .

That holds true with all multi-certified inspectors. I do beleive in multi-cert inspectors for residential only except electric unless his primary disipline is electric. Electric is the the one trade with the most saftey involved. Multi inspectors should not be allowed in comercial. Nobody is that smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.