Water Heater Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisw

I don't think that you can use a switch that only breakes one side of the circuit if it has an on and off position.

404.15 B Off Indication. Where in the off position, a switching device with a marked OFF position shall completely disconnect all ungrounded conductors to the load it controls.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I don't think that you can use a switch that only breakes one side of the circuit if it has an on and off position.

404.15 B Off Indication. Where in the off position, a switching device with a marked OFF position shall completely disconnect all ungrounded conductors to the load it controls.

Theres ways around everything, use a three way as a single pole, (no off position) though I think I would go the DP power relay route, and just run it LV.

Volta

I think your right!
Theres ways around everything, use a three way as a single pole, (no off position) though I think I would go the DP power relay route, and just run it LV.
And you too!

hardworkingstiff

While I agree and like your logic, I'd feel a lot better if this was not under the "Construction Specifications" section and was instead in the "Switch Connections" section (404.2).

mivey

See 404.14 (b) I would say the switch is going to see 240 volts. Plus if it switches under load it will see a voltage that is somewhat higher. I can not give you eng. data to support this. Maybe some of the engineers can.
No current = no voltage drop in the element = all of the 240 volts is across the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.